Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro Memory ( Paging File ) Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have a Macro that should be able to Produce 14 Million Combinations
to a Single Excel Sheet ( One Combination Per Cell ). It Basically
goes through and only Writes those Combinations that meet Specific
Criteria.
When I Run it, it goes OK for about 4 Hours and then slows down, it
then comes up with a Message saying that "Virtual Memory" is Low and
Windows is Increasing it. It appears to have NO Effect at ALL and
seems to go even SLOWER. When I let it carry on Running, it Produces
very Few Combinations over a long Time Period.
My Paging File is Set to Custom with Initial of 180mb and Max of
360mb.
Is there Anyway to Solve this Problem. Maybe Setting something up for
just for this One Task to Run to the End and then put back the Normal
Settings.
I hope I have Explained my Problem Clearly.
I have Windows XP ( Home Edition ) and Excel 2002 ( if that helps ).

Thanks in Advance
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel is not really designed to handle this volume of data and hence it is
not efficient (there are better ways, such as Access, or writing out a csv
file or ....).

If you really have to do it using Excel I would recommend a machine with at
least 512MB RAM and a pagefile of up to 1GB.
And it might not work anyway ... (but probably will).

see http://www.decisionModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages.

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
The Excel Calculation Site.
www.DecisionModels.com

"Paul Black" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the Reply Charles.
You suggested that writing to a csv File instead of to the Worksheet
would probably be more manageable. Do you know where I could get a
snippet of code to do this please.

Thanks in Advance
Paul