Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2004 Can't Disable Auto_Open Macro. What Now?

I have an Excel 2004 (Win XP Pro) Workbook that has an
Auto_Open macro. I have to change the logic in that macro,
but it is necessary that I disable the macro before it
executes when I open the workbook. In the past I would
simply press & hold the SHIFT key while opening the
workbook, and that would bypass Auto_Open execution. For
some reason today that isn't working. The purpose of the
macro is to open about 8 other workbooks, then close the
workbook it is in. It's been working beautifully for
years, now all of a sudden I can't disable it. What am I
missing? Is there an alternative way of turning it off.
As I said, if it executes, it closes the workbook it's in,
so I never have a chance to get to it.
(Groan)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try Tools / Macro / Security / Set to very high, then open the workbook

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"SidBord" wrote in message
I have an Excel 2004 (Win XP Pro) Workbook that has an
Auto_Open macro. I have to change the logic in that macro,
but it is necessary that I disable the macro before it
executes when I open the workbook. In the past I would
simply press & hold the SHIFT key while opening the
workbook, and that would bypass Auto_Open execution. For
some reason today that isn't working. The purpose of the
macro is to open about 8 other workbooks, then close the
workbook it is in. It's been working beautifully for
years, now all of a sudden I can't disable it. What am I
missing? Is there an alternative way of turning it off.
As I said, if it executes, it closes the workbook it's in,
so I never have a chance to get to it.
(Groan)

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure why starting up with the Shift key doesn't disable the macros.
What do you mean by "isn't working" - do you see an error? (Also - you
say it's an XL2004 workbook, but also say Win XP Pro - XL2004 is a Mac
application...Fortunately, the file format is identical)

Have you installed any new utilities/haxies that could be hijacking the
shift key?

As a workaround, Auto_xx macros don't run when opened via VBA. In the
VBE's Immediate window, type

Workbooks.Open "Workbook1.xls"

Assuming the file is in your MRU or in your default file directory, this
will open the file without running automacros. If the file isn't in
those locations, you'll need to add the complete file path.

In article ,
"SidBord" wrote:

I have an Excel 2004 (Win XP Pro) Workbook that has an
Auto_Open macro. I have to change the logic in that macro,
but it is necessary that I disable the macro before it
executes when I open the workbook. In the past I would
simply press & hold the SHIFT key while opening the
workbook, and that would bypass Auto_Open execution. For
some reason today that isn't working. The purpose of the
macro is to open about 8 other workbooks, then close the
workbook it is in. It's been working beautifully for
years, now all of a sudden I can't disable it. What am I
missing? Is there an alternative way of turning it off.
As I said, if it executes, it closes the workbook it's in,
so I never have a chance to get to it.
(Groan)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Do I see an error? No. It works just like I designed it
to . . . that's the problem. I don't want it to execute
when I open the workbook.
What do I mean that it isn't working? I mean that holding
the shift key down does not prevent the macro from executing.
I always indicate which OS I'm using because soemone is
sure to ask if I don't.
Haven't installed any new utilities lately.
Interesting suggestion about opening it with VBA . . hadn't
thought of that.
Thanx.

"SidBord" wrote:

I have an Excel 2004 (Win XP Pro) Workbook that has an
Auto_Open macro. I have to change the logic in that macro,
but it is necessary that I disable the macro before it
executes when I open the workbook. In the past I would
simply press & hold the SHIFT key while opening the
workbook, and that would bypass Auto_Open execution. For
some reason today that isn't working. The purpose of the
macro is to open about 8 other workbooks, then close the
workbook it is in. It's been working beautifully for
years, now all of a sudden I can't disable it. What am I
missing? Is there an alternative way of turning it off.
As I said, if it executes, it closes the workbook it's in,
so I never have a chance to get to it.
(Groan)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was successful using a one-line Visual Basic program to
open the workbook. While I still don't know why the SHIFT
key doesn't work, at least I've got a method to use to open
the workbook. I was wondering if the fact I used AUTO_OPEN
instead of the newer Workbook_Open event might have
something to do with not recognizing the SHIFT key. In any
case I trashed the AUTO_OPEN and replaced it with a
Workbook_Open event. Thanx for the help.