Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro virus prompt

Hi Michael
Execute SELFCERT.EXE which you should find in Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office
Fill in the name of your certificate
Open your workbook next and in the VBE see Tools, Digital signature (please
note option may vary since I own a French version)
Then choose your new certicate, validate and save and then close your
workbook.
Open your workbook again, a different warning message will appear, tick
checkbox "Always trust..."
Next time your workbook will open there will be no warnings anymore.

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"Michael" a écrit dans le message de
I want to run a macro daily from a windows Scheduled Task
which works fine, however when the file opens I get the
warning message asking if I want to enable Macro's. I
read somewhere that you can digitally sign the macro and
the message box will not appear, how do I do this.

Thanks in advance
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If this workbook is sent to another user, will that user's security
setting prompt the macros virus? Anyway to set the workbook to always
open without prompting?

Also, I have Office 2003 and I cannot find the selfcert.exe file anywhere.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

will that user's security
setting prompt the macros virus?

Yes but he will have the choice to always trust macros bearing this
signature

Anyway to set the workbook to always
open without prompting?

Hardly possible unless Macro security is set to low which is not recommended
(and I would not recommend)

Also, I have Office 2003 and I cannot find the selfcert.exe file anywhere

In which case you will need to add this feature using the installation
programme (look for something like digital signature in the Office
components)

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"vtisix" a écrit dans le message de
If this workbook is sent to another user, will that user's security
setting prompt the macros virus? Anyway to set the workbook to always
open without prompting?

Also, I have Office 2003 and I cannot find the selfcert.exe file anywhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Papou,

Yes but he will have the choice to always trust macros bearing this
signature

Nope, only Excel 2000 allows this for Selfcert signatures. XP and up
require a purchased certificate.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is a way to edit the security setting in Excel or I should sa
make Excel think the security setting is set to low by editing th
registry. Which can be done through code. It is a quite tedious an
long process just for one little message box that can be avoided b
digitally signing the macro.

I just wanted to point out that it is not impossible just not worth th
time and effort for one stupid messagebox

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

and of course is totally ineffective for the workbook containing the code to
edit the registry.

Tom Ogilvy

"nickg420 " wrote in message
There is a way to edit the security setting in Excel or I should say
make Excel think the security setting is set to low by editing the
registry. Which can be done through code. It is a quite tedious and
long process just for one little message box that can be avoided by
digitally signing the macro.

I just wanted to point out that it is not impossible just not worth the
time and effort for one stupid messagebox.

---