Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protecting a book protects too much?!

Wow, I thought my troubles would be over once I protected my workbooks. I
have numerous buttons with macros assigned to them. Protecting the sheets
would stop people from accidentally deleting anything. But it caused
problems in that buttons stopped working. Okay, some absolutely great help
from many folks, but esp. Dave Peterson and JulieD, and I have syntax to get
around that that works with any active sheet!

Inserting rows we seem to almost have figured out programmatically, too.
But now I found other things get locked out automatically - things like not
being able to delete rows or being able to affect changes to parts of font
attributes (i.e., making some keywords red/bold and others italicized, too).

Alright deleting a whole row, I can do up a button for that and hopefully
somehow find code that deletes an entire row not just a cell (cell contents
can still be deleted; it's the "delete" option in pulldown and context menus
that is greyed out).

But the font changes for keywords, that's going to be tough. And we print
these books out in colour for just that reason - keywords in colour.

And there will probably be one or two other straggling items that will show
up as I finish up here ...

There seems to be quite a bit to get around the full protection. I've tried
different combinations of CONTENTS, OBJECTS and/or SCENARIOS from the
"Protect Sheet" dialogue box that comes up, but nothing does the job of
protecting the workbooks as when all of the 3 options are selected. I've
tried different combinations but don't seem to have been successful at this.

Anywho, I know I can't be the only one to have run into this huge brick wall
full tilt! What is anyone's advice? Perhaps there's a tut webpage out
there that deals with protecting a sheet and the resultant problems with
buttons and macros yet how to overcome??

I was commanded here to use Excel, basically. I wanted to set everything up
in Access but I wasn't allowed that and if I've already spent hours and
hours at home doing this for Excel, it still would have taken a lot longer
in Access anyway so I'm stuck with Excel. And it's doing a fantastic job,
so I am not complaining at all! <g

Just hoping the wheel has already been done and I don't have to reinvent it,
because all these books are working absolutely perfectly now pre-protection.
I'd like for them to keep on working long after I'm gone, but I know people.
If I leave these vulnerable to accidental modification by not protecting
them - they'll corrupt these files within very little time. <sigh Yet how
to get around the stumbling blocks when I get to them?

Thanks a million.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:40:56 -0400, "Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn *AT* aol
*DOT* com wrote:

What version of Excel are you using? XP gives you the capability of
fine-tuning your protection options.

At work, Excel 2000 on W2K - at home, Excel 2000 on Win98SE.

I tried with the 3 options available for protection and nothing seemed
to the do the job without severely limiting Excel.

[snip]