Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
COG COG is offline

Default Complex Reference Problem

Hi, I have an Excel file with 2 tabs named Students and
the other Worksheet.
On the Student Tab 1., I list students in alphabetical
order in Col B and have titles of Sylabus 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
in Cols H, J, L, N, P respectively.
On the Worksheet Tab, In Col H titled Student Name, I
have a linked pull-down list in each row where you can
select a students name from Tab 1. In Col K titled
Sylabus #, a number will be input from 1 - 5.
What I want to do is the following:
On Worksheet Tab 2, you will select a student name from
the drop down menu, you will then put a syllabus # in Col
K, like 2. I would like an "x" to be automatically put
on Students Tab 1 in the appropriate cell under the
correct Syllabus number and opposite the student's name.

In other words all students names will first be input on
Tab 1. After that, data will only be filled out on the
Worksheet Tab 2. On that Worksheet Tab, a student's name
may appear several times with a different syllabus number
entered by his name. If 2 were entered by his name, I
would like to have an "x" automatically entered on the
Tab 1 opposite his name in the column for Syllabus 2. On
Tab 2 the students name only shows up once, but he may
have several of the boxes opposite his name filled it
with "x"s.

Is that too complicated. I'm really new at trying to do
this - know it can be done, but not how. Thanks