Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
YB YB is offline

Default Automatic Calculation Options ?!?

Maybe someone can help me.
My excel is always opening in the Manual Calculation Mode. I changed it to
automatic, saved the file, closed excel and reopened it again. But the
option still remains on Manual! I can't understand because in the help
topics it is even said that the automatic mode is the default one! But It
always remains in Manual on my wqindows 2000 version.
What changes do I have to make to my settings to have this calculation
options back on automatic each time excel is opened?
Thanks for your help!
Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Yves
Not too sure but check for "unknown" Excel files in the xlstart folder and
remove them.

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"YB" a écrit dans le message de
Maybe someone can help me.
My excel is always opening in the Manual Calculation Mode. I changed it to
automatic, saved the file, closed excel and reopened it again. But the
option still remains on Manual! I can't understand because in the help
topics it is even said that the automatic mode is the default one! But It
always remains in Manual on my wqindows 2000 version.
What changes do I have to make to my settings to have this calculation
options back on automatic each time excel is opened?
Thanks for your help!
Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Yb,

My excel is always opening in the Manual Calculation Mode. I changed it to
automatic, saved the file, closed excel and reopened it again. But the
option still remains on Manual!

Have you got a file called Personal.xls ? (or maybe another hidden workbook)
Look at Window, Unhide. Unhide all files that are there, then set calc to
auto again, then hide all windows you need hidden and close Excel. Choose
Yes to save changes.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
YB YB is offline

Thanks Pascal,
It seems to work. Even if the manual calculation options was'nt checked in
the hidden files at startup, I saved them again. and excel is back on
automatic calculation !
Regards,
Yves

"YB" a écrit dans le message de
Maybe someone can help me.
My excel is always opening in the Manual Calculation Mode. I changed it

automatic, saved the file, closed excel and reopened it again. But the
option still remains on Manual! I can't understand because in the help
topics it is even said that the automatic mode is the default one! But

It
always remains in Manual on my wqindows 2000 version.
What changes do I have to make to my settings to have this calculation
options back on automatic each time excel is opened?
Thanks for your help!
Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Yb,

It seems to work. Even if the manual calculation options was'nt checked in
the hidden files at startup, I saved them again. and excel is back on
automatic calculation !

Calculation mode is saved with a file, but Excel sets the mode based on the
FIRST file it opens.

If you have two files open and change calc mode to manual and after that
save both files, both will be saved with calc to manual.

So if you start Excel and start off with opening a file that had calc set to
Auto at its saving, subsequent opening of a file with calc set to manual
will not change the calc mode, it will stay Auto.

Saving of that last file at this time will however set that file back to
auto calc (because that is what is currently set), so next time you *start*
by opening that file, it will not be in Manual calc mode anymore.

Confusing, eh?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP