Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro to backup?

I am not a programmer, i am into networking, so in case if
someone is going to type here a VB code, keep it in
between inverted commas..:))

In excel i have been using make a backup option for a
while. The backup stays in the same folder as my file,
whats the point? What if HD crashes and all data on disk
is lost? I have a network, can i not use the same backup
option to save the file to another location on network?
What i am doing right now is, i made a batch file that
would run every minute, copy and paste the file to another
location. This used to work fine until, when my batch file
tried to copy paste when file was open , in use and not
yet saved. Excel automatically made new copies in the same
folder naming them CDBF47ED and so on...and messed up. I
am not sure if that happened coz of my batch trying to
copy paste...ummm
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks a lot.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Some people don't have networks available or don't want to use them--dialup
telecommuters would hate backing up to a remote network share, I'd bet.

But Jan Karel Pieterse's has come to your rescue. He has an addin called
AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

--

Dave Peterson