Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default object classes

can anyone tell me how to get a list of the object classes
registered on any given PC?

the ones that would be used in:

Dim objApplication
Set objApplication = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

the object classes that are recognized on a given pc with
the CreateObject function.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can look them up in the registry, under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... it's quite
a long list...

--
Regards

Juan Pablo González

"mark" wrote in message
can anyone tell me how to get a list of the object classes
registered on any given PC?

the ones that would be used in:

Dim objApplication
Set objApplication = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

the object classes that are recognized on a given pc with
the CreateObject function.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

it's quite a long list...

yep.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's a pc that has 2 versions of Cognos Impromptu on
it... Version 5, and Version 6.

When a macro calls CreateObject("Impromptu.Application") ,
it brings it up in version 6.

I was looking into making it call version 5.

But it looks like it would be really involved.

You can find them in the Registry under the

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive.

--

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try with

CreateObject("Impromptu.Application.5")

--
Regards

Juan Pablo González

"mark" wrote in message
There's a pc that has 2 versions of Cognos Impromptu on
it... Version 5, and Version 6.

When a macro calls CreateObject("Impromptu.Application") ,
it brings it up in version 6.

I was looking into making it call version 5.

But it looks like it would be really involved.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CreateObject("Impromptu.Application.5")

Thanks for the idea...

I meant to say Impromptu 7.1 earlier, not Imp6

But anyway, using automation, both

CreateObject("Impromptu.Application") , and
CreateObject("Impromptu.Application.50")

bring up Imromptu 7.1

"Impromptu.Application.5" results in 'bad object class'

I did find the registry key that causes it to think it
should go to Imp7.1, and changed that, but then it just
threw me into a 'server is busy' loop and didn't really
bring anything up, so I changed it back and now it is
working as it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

Tom Ogilvy has already made this point, so I am just re-iterating

... aversion number .. on the end does nothing according to articles
published by Microsoft. The last version registered will be the version
used by GetObject and CreateObject.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"mark" wrote in message
CreateObject("Impromptu.Application.5")

Thanks for the idea...

I meant to say Impromptu 7.1 earlier, not Imp6

But anyway, using automation, both

CreateObject("Impromptu.Application") , and
CreateObject("Impromptu.Application.50")

bring up Imromptu 7.1

"Impromptu.Application.5" results in 'bad object class'

I did find the registry key that causes it to think it
should go to Imp7.1, and changed that, but then it just
threw me into a 'server is busy' loop and didn't really
bring anything up, so I changed it back and now it is
working as it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The last version registered will be the version
used by GetObject and CreateObject.

Sort of.

In the process here, I cleared all of the product off of
this machine, then loaded the Imp7 User version, the Imp 7
Admin version, and then reloaded the Imp5 Admin version.

CreateObject uses the Imp7User version.... which is the
first of the three loaded. That may be because the two
subsequent loads don't didn't actually 'register' the
product...

It's simple to go inot the registry key and make
CreateObject use the Imp7Admin version, if I wanted...

It seems rather more involved to get it to use Imp5 again.

Other solutions are available, and probably more
advisable, in this case.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeah, but that doesn't give you the ability to choose
the version from code!

I understand that.

As it turns out, the simplest solution was just to put an
old pc in the payroll department for the moment, for them
to run their macros on.

The trouble was that a partiuclar database isn't supported
by the new version of the software application, yet.

When it is, the problem will go away.

<

<