Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default common dialog control... list vs. detail display

I use the common dialog control to assist in selecting
text files for import.

Currently, it is listing the file appropriate file names
based on the InitDir and Filter properties.

Is there a a setting which would cause it to default to
listing the file details such as filesize and date, too?

Currently, if I want that, I have to use the little icon
in the upper right that lets you change the file display
from 'List' to 'Details'

I looked in the VB6.0 help, but either I missed it, or the
answer isn't there. Could be either.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know about the common control but generally the type of file display
is a user preference. It's best to let the user set his preference and just
go with it. If you use Excel's method for opening files:

Application.GetOpenFilename "Excel file (*.xls),*.xls"

then the user display preference will be used automatically and preserved
between Excel sessions.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"mark" wrote in message
|I use the common dialog control to assist in selecting
| text files for import.
|
| Currently, it is listing the file appropriate file names
| based on the InitDir and Filter properties.
|
| Is there a a setting which would cause it to default to
| listing the file details such as filesize and date, too?
|
| Currently, if I want that, I have to use the little icon
| in the upper right that lets you change the file display
| from 'List' to 'Details'
|
| I looked in the VB6.0 help, but either I missed it, or the
| answer isn't there. Could be either.
|
| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

common dialog is something that you can put into Excel if
you have VB6 registered.

It's coming up very plain, and I wanted detail.

perhaps it can't be set.

it's just a control in a form that has lots of properties,
but perhaps that's not one of them. It doesn't seem to
use the default preference of the user... if it did, that
would be fine.