Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Record to stay in one spot not matter how rest is sorted?

This is coming up again and again. Either at the beginning of a worksheet,
in the middle or at the end, a record every once in a while needs to be
found always at the same spot no matter what happens to the rest of the
entries. Today, the record needs to stay at row #50.

How can be programmatically enter the data so that the rest of the row sorts
alphabetically yet this one stays at 50? In this case, since the last entry
would fall on "zzz", say, it would almost be neat to type in "zzz Data"
(Data being the actual info needed) yet making the "zzz" part "invisible"
<lol!! I don't know <g, whatever it would take for this to work. So
either a "real" way, without resorting to a macro to adjust its position,
that would just place it where it needs to be, or a fiddle where we can type
in "invisible" text so that it sorts. <lol That sounds weird, I know, but
I do something of the kind with dates.

I had an example yesterday. We knew the document was done in 2004 but with
no actual date, there wasn't any way to have it sort properly if left blank.
It always appended to the bottom of the rest of the other entries. By
entering "2004.01.01" but setting the display to show only "2004", we got
around this very, very well as the first record was in February. This
record always shows up at the top of the list as the first entry of 2004 yet
we didn't give it an actual date since only 2004 prints. Just to give an
example of this and hoping that we can come up with something for anchoring
entries to a row.

Thanks so much in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What do you mean stay in the same position? If you prefix the entry
something like zzz to an entry then the sort will move it based on the
values used. To stay at the same position (absolute row number) you would
need to remove the entry, sort the data as normal, go to the row, insert a
row and add back the entry - but I'm not sure that is what you want?

I think you are going to need a macro if my understanding is correct,
otherwise a tedious manual process. If you do use a macro how will you
indentify which record(s) not to move?

More specific information will help - or an actual example
Cheers
Nigel