Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default setting up a Company ordering template

I've been asked to setup an order system for my co-workers.

We have approx 8 employees involved, running Office 2003
on Windows 2003 Small Business Server.

I'm thinking along these lines:

Setup the 'Order' on a sheet in a workbook, and save it as
"Company_Order.xlt".

When a user opens a copy of the template, code in the
ThisWorkbook module would:
i) lock certain cells, protect the workbook, and enable
only unlocked cells (so that the standard layout of the
'Order' is preserved).
ii) get the current date, and insert it into a specific cell.
(the template will be stored on a shared network drive
on the server).
iii) one cell is reserved for the Company Order number.
If a user exits correctly (ie decides to save their order)
then the cell value on the template increments by one.

So user opens the template and is presented with a
copy showing the order no as 1001. User saves their
order. Next user will get 1002. If user doesn't save,
then next user gets 1001.

I think I can achieve this so far, but it will fail if I do not
'lock down' the save routine. eg the user could quit excel,
fail to save their new order, etc, etc.

What's the best way to deal with this issue, please?

I think I need a way to ensure that once the user has
opened a copy of the template, then they can only exit via
a Yes/No option (ie Yes = Save and increment the template,
No = close the workbook and reset the order number).

If Yes, then I would let the user browse to their 'save'
folder, and automatically save a copy back to the server.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards.

---