Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Intro to VBA

Can anyone help me get started learning VBA. Often the books don't do
it for me. If anyone has a 1-2-3 to get me started, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks
Walkerdayle

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
tod tod is offline

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but...

I learned VBA by hanging out in newsgroups like this one.
I've found that experience and 'trail by fire' are the
best teachers.

tod
Can anyone help me get started learning VBA. Often the

books don't do
it for me. If anyone has a 1-2-3 to get me started, I'd

appreciate
it.

Thanks
Walkerdayle

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

This worked for me -

Think of something you would like Excel to do that no one at work can
explain,
Get Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach,
If that does not help, use the newsgroups - there is ALWAYS someone with the
time patience and goodwill to give you the answer!

Regards
Kenny

"walkerdayle " wrote in message
Can anyone help me get started learning VBA. Often the books don't do
it for me. If anyone has a 1-2-3 to get me started, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks
Walkerdayle

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi! Welcome to the club. I'm only about half a step ahead of you. Here's
what I've done:

1. Use the macro recorder to create your first macros. Alt+F11 will take
you into the VB Editor, where you can look at the code to see what commands
were used to do what.

2. Spend time just reading here on the newsgroups. There's a lot of stuff
talked about, and the more you read it the more you get to understand.

3. Search for answers. Chances are your question has been answered at
least once before. I use an add-in (http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm)
for searching. Use the Help files in the VB Editor. Get a book at
your level. I had zero experience with any type of programming, so I got
VBA for Dummies to find out what an object was and so forth. If you're
above that, there's lots of books that will take you deeper.

4. Post here with things you don't understand or get stuck on. These MVPs
are fantastic! Often it will be something fairly simple (missing a space,
wrong object, etc.), and an experienced eye really helps.

5. Check out the web sites recommended within the answers on the
newsgroups. Lots of tips, answers, code, book recommendations, etc.

6. Jump in, make mistakes, fix them, and feel great when it works!

Ed

"walkerdayle " wrote in message
Can anyone help me get started learning VBA. Often the books don't do
it for me. If anyone has a 1-2-3 to get me started, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks
Walkerdayle

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could look over David McRitchie's "getting started" site.

Note his links to tutorials et al near bottom of page.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP