Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating menus manually without VBA?

I have no problem creating menus, it's as easy as creating a new item
on a toolbar. It's explained here
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/menus.htm.

However, without VBA, how can items for the new menu be added? I've
tried following the instructions on that page but with no luck. I
just keep getting more new ones but no submenus at all. It's not
implied that only one menu item can be added and that's it, unless
I've misunderstood:

"The procedure for adding a new tool to a command bar is the same,
except that you should choose Custom Button rather than Custom Menu
Item from the Macros Categories list in the Customize dialog box."

But that's where I just end up with new menus.

I'm assuming that "tool" is just a name for adding something under a
menu. If that's correct, then this should work. I'm obviously doing
something wrong if that's the case.

Any help appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stargatefan,

The page you refer to does not open, so I cannot see what instruction
you followed to create the new items. Also, I don't know exactly wha
you are trying to do.

Can't you add new buttons and submenus or do you have an othe
problem?

Stargate Rules

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:36:07 -0500, Berend Botje
wrote:

Hi Stargatefan,

The page you refer to does not open, so I cannot see what instructions
you followed to create the new items. Also, I don't know exactly what
you are trying to do.

That's odd. It opens fine for me. Wonder why that happens?

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/menus.htm.

Can't you add new buttons and submenus or do you have an other
problem?

It's the submenus I can't seem to add. When I drag the "custom
button" instead of menu, just like they say to on that page, the only
place the custom button will go is along the top, just like the custom
menu item. The only diffrence being is that the custom menu button
has a smiley face so I end up with smiley faces along the bar instead
of text. So if I had 10 items I needed to put in a custom menu, I
wouldn't be able to have one menu with 10 items in it, I'd have to
have 10 custom menus. Thing would get pretty crowded up there! <g

I'm obviously doing something wrong but as I've tried to do this
several times and I've not figured out where I'm going wrong, was
hoping someone could explain better how to create submenus this
non-VBA way.

I tried the VBA way and dl menumaker as advised but got stuck there,
too. If I had more than one example file to work with, I could figure
out better what to do. I don't need anywhere near as many entries as
what they have there, but in trying to delete them, I was deleting
without adjusting something somewhere in the example so the VBA custom
menu didn't work. But if this manual way does, I'd prefer it anyway
for most things. Also, the menumaker example shows a temporary menu
that disappears once you close that file, which isn't what I need. So
all in all, a manual method seems best to me.

I searched for about an hour _again_ last night but all I get are
courses to pay for or books to buy re creating custom menus. I must
admit that this screenshot shows exactly the type of thing I'd love to
be able to create, though for now just one submenu is needed, not so
much nested menus as shown he
http://www.exceltip.com/images/newbo...ustom_menu.jpg The
sublevels I can graduate to once I've got the menu creation process
down pat! <g

Anyway, thanks. Any help you or anyone can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To create a new menu item with sub menu items, first drag the
"New Menu" item from the Customize dialog on to the appropriate
menu or to the worksheet menu bar. Then, drag "Custom Menu Item"
to that newly created menu item, and it will be a sub menu item.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"StargateFan" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:35:45 -0500, "Chip Pearson"
wrote:

To create a new menu item with sub menu items, first drag the
"New Menu" item from the Customize dialog on to the appropriate
menu or to the worksheet menu bar. Then, drag "Custom Menu Item"
to that newly created menu item, and it will be a sub menu item.

THANK YOU!! I was lucky enough to find that info when I did yet
another search via google on the ng at work. Phew! Can't believe how
none of the websites I'd visited mentioned that!

Turns out it was sooo easy! <lol That's the way the cookie
crumbles, it seems. <g