Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Other language

Is it possible to use an excel file that contains VBA macro's on a PC and
Excel setup in a different language? I mean an Excel file (with macro's)
originally written in an English setup to be used on an other PC that has
Excel in French?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,

Yes, an Excel file created in one language should work in another
language version of Excel.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Daniel VanEygen" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an excel file that contains VBA macro's

on a PC and
Excel setup in a different language? I mean an Excel file (with

macro's)
originally written in an English setup to be used on an other

PC that has
Excel in French?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your reply Chip,
Does this include also formula's and macro's. I am asking because formula's
have different names in different languages. "IF...." translates in the
Dutch version as "ALS..." etc...
Thanks,
Daniel

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
Daniel,

Yes, an Excel file created in one language should work in another
language version of Excel.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Daniel VanEygen" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an excel file that contains VBA macro's

on a PC and
Excel setup in a different language? I mean an Excel file (with

macro's)
originally written in an English setup to be used on an other

PC that has
Excel in French?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel

The only things that won't work are functions from the Analysis Toolpack.
Everything else will. (Yes, that includes everything else ;-)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Daniel VanEygen" skrev i melding
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

some functions like =Cell() accept localized string arguments

in Dutch =Cel("bestand";a1) will NOT translate.

however you can enter the English arguments in the dutch function
=CEL("filename";a1) and it will.

I'm author of translateIT, a toolbar with function lookup,
and string parser for functions copied from newsgroups)

keepITcool

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Harald,

The only things that won't work are functions from the Analysis Toolpack.
Everything else will. (Yes, that includes everything else ;-)

Problem with general statements is they are _generaly_ incorrect. ;-)

Daniel,

1.
You should be aware not to use .FormulaLocal to insert your formula (in your
macro code).

The .FormulaR1C1 or .Formula should be used (with the English function names).

2.
Be careful about how you are processing dates : if it implies any given string
representation (day, month or year), you are looking for trouble when the code
runs in other countries.
So, you should work with DateSerial() as make any dates calculations independant
from their string representation.

3.
Do you have any code that implies a specific thousand or decimal separators?
This is rare but it happens.

4.
Some countries have different protection schemes than others (128 bits versus 40
bits max authorized). When some VBA project are protected in country1, it might
not possible to open it with a version of Excel used/compiled for country2.
This is happening if country1 = USA and country2 = France.

Regards,

Daniel M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Other problems may occur in using the INDIRECT() function if you use R1C1
reference style, and in general in all cases where you use literals, like
the formatting characters for he TEXT() function, the DATEDIFF function,
etc.

But these are not widely used, and in practice you'll indeed find that most
spreadsheets are "translated" without any problem.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Niek!

But these are not widely used

Apart perhaps from functions where dates are imported or hard coded
text. You can avoid problems here (I think) if you use the
Internationally recognised format "2004-06-20"

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)