Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Waste Reduction Program

I hope I can explain what I need properly.
I have a list of rebar cut lengths. This list is in one column only, and uses decimal values for feet (i.e. 12'6" = 12.5) Sometimes, this list is rather long. I need to find out how to cut these bars out of 60' stock lengths in a way that will leave me with the least amount of scrap possible. Each bar on my list can only be used once, until all bars are accounted for, and I need to have a count of how many stock bars were used.

Thanks in Advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try this link: I think feet-inches.xls was supposed to do that, anyway this would be site
the feet-inches would have to be changed to decimal fractions, but I think is has something
to do with getting the most out of your stock, and if this what it is would certainly include
you loss for the cut and possibly for the ends (if it matters)..

http://www.steel-link.com/2002/downloads/other.cfm

--
---
HTH,

"Rebarguy" wrote in message ...
I hope I can explain what I need properly.
I have a list of rebar cut lengths. This list is in one column only, and uses decimal values for feet (i.e. 12'6" = 12.5)

Sometimes, this list is rather long. I need to find out how to cut these bars out of 60' stock lengths in a way that will leave me
with the least amount of scrap possible. Each bar on my list can only be used once, until all bars are accounted for, and I need to
have a count of how many stock bars were used.

Thanks in Advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gidday,

In the list are different lengths? eg:
A1 2 f
A2 3ft 5"
etc

From the list, pick the items that will maximise the 60ft
length?

It sounds like a formula that has to try nearly every
combination to find the lengths that, if put end to end,
will closely fit 60ft.
I think in the end you will have one combined length that
will fall short of the 60ft.

Could you send me this list of lengths? I would be
interested in trying to sort the list to find the best
combinations.

Regards
Mark

visit: