Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reverse cell value and convert to date

Hello newsgroup users and Gurus.

Your kind assistance please.

This is a challenge.

I have a column with a text string which is a date. i'e.

30121998= 30th December 1998.

I would like to convert the text string into a actual date
format.

A tricky one I know, but is it possible.

Regards
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
one way: use the following formula in an adjacent cell:
=DATE(RIGHT(A1,4),MID(A1,3,2),LEFT(A1,2))
and copy down

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

PW wrote:
Hello newsgroup users and Gurus.

Your kind assistance please.

This is a challenge.

I have a column with a text string which is a date. i'e.

30121998= 30th December 1998.

I would like to convert the text string into a actual date
format.

A tricky one I know, but is it possible.

Regards
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Grüezi PW

PW schrieb am 10.06.2004

I have a column with a text string which is a date. i'e.

30121998= 30th December 1998.

I would like to convert the text string into a actual date
format.

Try the following formula in an column:

=DATEVALUE(TEXT(A1,"00-00-0000"))

and format the cell(s) with 'dd.mmmm yyyy'

--
Regards

Thomas Ramel
- MVP for Microsoft-Excel -

[Win XP Pro SP-1 / xl2000 SP-3]
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Thomas
this kind of function could return wrong results if the regional date
settings are for example
MM-DD-YYYY
and you have a date like
03042004
which should be
03-Apr-2004
but would be interpreted as
04-Mar-2004

Personally I'd trust DATEVALUE only for a format like
YYYY-MM-DD

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Thomas Ramel wrote:
Grüezi PW

PW schrieb am 10.06.2004

I have a column with a text string which is a date. i'e.

30121998= 30th December 1998.

I would like to convert the text string into a actual date
format.

Try the following formula in an column:

=DATEVALUE(TEXT(A1,"00-00-0000"))

and format the cell(s) with 'dd.mmmm yyyy'

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Grüezi Frank

Frank Kabel schrieb am 10.06.2004

this kind of function could return wrong results if the regional date
settings are for example
MM-DD-YYYY

I was afraid so - but would the OP give it a try, because his notatin of
the date looked like the 'European-way'.

I'm aware of the date-problems and its international-issues.

--
Regards

Thomas Ramel
- MVP for Microsoft-Excel -

[Win XP Pro SP-1 / xl2000 SP-3]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thomas Ramel wrote:
Grüezi Frank

Frank Kabel schrieb am 10.06.2004

this kind of function could return wrong results if the regional

date
settings are for example
MM-DD-YYYY

I was afraid so - but would the OP give it a try, because his notatin
of the date looked like the 'European-way'.

ack. In this case it probably should work

I'm aware of the date-problems and its international-issues.

Regards
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thomas, Frank, thank you both for your time.
You have have been helpful in solving my problem and also
given me an insight into other issues that I may come
across.

Regards

.