Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default EXCEL VBA question

Hi EXCEL VBA Wizards!

I keep improving a template I use but each time I improve it, I need to
retest it with data from a number of past examples to make sure I haven't
compromised any functionality. In effect, I need to copy and paste various
blocks of data from the same-named worksheet of an old file to the
same-named worksheet (and locations) of the new template. I think I can do
this via simple recording of the macro. The only thing I don't know is the
code to have it, at the outset, ask me what the name of the other EXCEL file
is and, then, how to tell it to go to that filename, before each copy
command. Can you help me, please, with the specific coding to do this?

I'm thinking something like:

1) have it ask the user via some sort of input message box, for the filename
I want to use for copying into the current file that will contain the macro.

2) assign the response and identify it as "X"

3) go to filename X.xls

Thank you,
Jill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jill

See if you can use this:

Sub test()
Dim F As Variant
F = Application.GetOpenFilename("Workbooks (*.xls), *.xls", _
, "Select a file to copy into:")
If F = False Then Exit Sub
Workbooks.Open F
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Grace" skrev i melding
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With a little learning on my part, this works nicely. Only a couple of
follow-up questions. Your macro codes the file as F. I know that before
each copy operation, I don't want to re-open the file, but would rather
activate it. I tried several versions of:

Windows("F.xls").Activate

and each yields a bug. What is the proper syntax for activating this file
we call F, after it has been opened?

One other thing, I use a similar command (that DOES work, for the name of
the file with the macro in it. Specifically:

Windows("test.xls").Activate

and that works fine. However, if I save the template with a new name, it
won't adjust to it. So, I need some way to tell it to always paste into the
current filename, the one with the macro. What is the best way to define
this, so I can activate it over and over again? I'm thinking of something
like G = the current filename with this macro, then I activate G over and
over again as I am pasting

Great work. Thanks!

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Grace" skrev i melding
I know that before
each copy operation, I don't want to re-open the file, but would rather
activate it.

Usually one doesn't have to select or activate anything to move/copy stuff
from one place to another. It just slows things down while looking ugly.

Best wishes Harald

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perhaps I am confused but I don't think you have answered my question. What
I do is copy data from a source file to the same location in a destination
file. I do this for many different areas on many different tabs.

So, I go to the source file (which you have called F) and I highlight, say,
worksheet tab 1, then a range of cells on that tab. Then I activate the
destination file, find the same tab and same cell area and paste it.

Then, I go back to the source file and repeat for another tab and area. So,
each time I am toggling between two files. I was trying to find a way to
call the source file each time. I thought the command:

Windows(F.xls).Activate

would work but it bombs the macro out. What is the right syntax to toggle
back to that sheet?

Thanks,
Grace

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
"Grace" skrev i melding
I know that before
each copy operation, I don't want to re-open the file, but would rather
activate it.

Usually one doesn't have to select or activate anything to move/copy stuff
from one place to another. It just slows things down while looking ugly.

Best wishes Harald

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Grace

I didn't answer your question because I believed it was the wrong solution
to a problem. What you want done is to copy from one place to another, not
to activate windows. So I still won't tell you, but see if this does what
you want:

Sub test()
Dim F As Variant
Dim wbSource As Workbook
Dim wbTarget As Workbook

Set wbTarget = ThisWorkbook 'or ActiveWorkbook
F = Application.GetOpenFilename("Workbooks (*.xls), *.xls", _
, "Select a file to copy into:")
If F = False Then Exit Sub
Set wbSource = Workbooks.Open(F)
wbSource.Sheets(1).Range("A1:F14").Copy wbTarget.Sheets(2).Range("D1:I14")
wbSource.Saved = True
wbSource.Close

End Sub

OR: Do you need to manually select a range in the middle of your macro ?

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Grace" skrev i melding