Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP! Please!

Hi, I kno this is not a programming query but im a beginner with M
Excel and cant work out why this formula isnt workin! Here goes:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData,0))),"IIBD ACC","INVALID CAUSE OR P
CODE"),IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData2,0))),"II BD PD","invalid caus
code")

ValidData is cells H1:H4
ValidData2 is cells I1:I4

this is essentially two IF Statments combined so maybe ive done i
wrong?

Id be really really greatful if anyone can help

Thanx loads,
DCM8

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, you need to remove the bracket from after PD CODE" in order to make the
2nd if statement an else.
Jeff

"DCM84 " wrote in message
Hi, I kno this is not a programming query but im a beginner with MS
Excel and cant work out why this formula isnt workin! Here goes:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData,0))),"IIBD ACC","INVALID CAUSE OR PD
CODE"),IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData2,0))),"II BD PD","invalid cause
code")

ValidData is cells H1:H4
ValidData2 is cells I1:I4

this is essentially two IF Statments combined so maybe ive done it
wrong?

Id be really really greatful if anyone can help

Thanx loads,
DCM84

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Indeed you have.

The first IF resolves completely, as you have both TRUE and FALSE actions,
so you cannot have another IF after this. A second IF should go in place of
either the TRUE or FALSE action.

Maybe this

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData,0))),"IIBD
ACC",IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData2,0))),"IIB D PD","invalid cause
code"))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"DCM84 " wrote in message
Hi, I kno this is not a programming query but im a beginner with MS
Excel and cant work out why this formula isnt workin! Here goes:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData,0))),"IIBD ACC","INVALID CAUSE OR PD
CODE"),IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,ValidData2,0))),"II BD PD","invalid cause
code")

ValidData is cells H1:H4
ValidData2 is cells I1:I4

this is essentially two IF Statments combined so maybe ive done it
wrong?

Id be really really greatful if anyone can help

Thanx loads,
DCM84

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanx bob, that worked great!

Only thing is, I realised now that i want to use another two I
statements for the formula that i had 4got to include! Is it possibl
to combine four IF statements together?

I tried using the same principal you gave me on the original two I
statements but excel says i am missing a --) or a (.

Any ideas?

Thanx
DCM8

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As ever, show us what you have got so far.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"DCM84 " wrote in message
Thanx bob, that worked great!

Only thing is, I realised now that i want to use another two IF
statements for the formula that i had 4got to include! Is it possible
to combine four IF statements together?

I tried using the same principal you gave me on the original two IF