Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Dynamic Variable Name

I have a whole slew of variables that are similarly named:

for example

abcdMax = 10
efghMax = 20
ijklMax = 30 ...

I want to use the "Max" variable in a function based upon a string
that is sent to the function

The following code will not work, but I think it illustrates what I am
trying to do....

Function myFunction(incomingstring as String)

fourletters = Left(incomingstring, 4)

dynamicvariable = fourletters & "Max"

myFunction = Dateadd("m", dynamicvariable, "00:00")

End Function

In this code "dynamicvariable" is a string, whereas I want the value
of the variable with the same "name" as this string. I understand
that I could handle my task with a very long case statement, but I am
searching for more brevity. Any and all creative solutions are
appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Function myFunction(incomingstring as String)

fourletters = Left(incomingstring, 4)

dynamicvariable = fourletters & "Max"

myFunction = Dateadd("m", Evaluate(Range(dynamicvariable).RefersTo),
"00:00")

End Function

Tom Ogilvy

"Jake" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use an array of possible values, and an array of dynamic values, find the
'incomingstring' in the former array, this gives you an index into the
latter array.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips