Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default lookup

i have a range (a1:g5000) sorted by date, the same date can be used in multiple rows, i need to lookup up a date and have it return all info for each date
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
use VLOOKUP (multiple) for this. See:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

choice wrote:
i have a range (a1:g5000) sorted by date, the same date can be used
in multiple rows, i need to lookup up a date and have it return all
info for each date

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Frank Kabel wrote:
Hi
use VLOOKUP (multiple) for this. See:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

I don't find any section or heading VLOOKUP (multiple)

Alan Beban
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't see that either <grin
There are multiple argument lookups, but I think the
poster would be more interested in filtering.

choice wrote:
i have a range (a1:g5000) sorted by date, the same date can be used
in multiple rows, i need to lookup up a date and have it return all
info for each dateseld be

A little bit light on how they want to to the lookup, whether they know
the date or have to look it up first. Debra Dalgleish, I think, has some
program invoked filter examples on her site. http://www.contextures.com
look for filter or filtering.

Since the question is skimpy on what is wanted it probably
is is not a programming question. So perhaps a simple filter
is all that is needed.

Auto Filter within...
Summarizing Data Examples (an Overview)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#autofilter
Also includes information to undo the filter, don't want anyone having
to restore a file because how to undo wasn't included.

--
---
HTH,

"Alan Beban" wrote in message ...
Frank Kabel wrote:
Hi
use VLOOKUP (multiple) for this. See:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

I don't find any section or heading VLOOKUP (multiple)

Alan Beban

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Alan
it was too late for this post I think. What I wanted to say was:
I woulds use multiple VLOOKUPs. One for each column, each refering to
the same search criteria.
and after this just a refernce to get the basic understanding of
vLOOKUP :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Alan Beban wrote:
Frank Kabel wrote:
Hi
use VLOOKUP (multiple) for this. See:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

I don't find any section or heading VLOOKUP (multiple)

Alan Beban

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i currently have multiple vlookups (about 350000), but there are only about 10 a day that needs to be looked up...so i was wondering if there was a way to use less equations or programming, this worksheet is saved about every 2 minutes...so with all those equations it takes a LOT longer to save
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
if you could explain your spreadsheet layout a little bit more there
may be alternatives. Honestly I can't think of a situation where I
would need 350,000 formulas in an Excel sheet. If an application
requires that much lookups Excel is probably not the right tool

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

choice wrote:
i currently have multiple vlookups (about 350000), but there are only
about 10 a day that needs to be looked up...so i was wondering if
there was a way to use less equations or programming, this worksheet
is saved about every 2 minutes...so with all those equations it takes
a LOT longer to save

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

column A = date of purchas
column b = name of custome
column c = phone numbe
column GC = discount

the range is from A2:GC(count of transactions

basically now im using =if(a2=today(),b2,""
same equation for column c,d,e...out to G

then that equation goes down about 10000 rows to cover all the possible trasanaction

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
but this would create a lot of blank rows? Why not use 'Data - Filter -
Advanced Filter' for creating a snapshot on a separate sheet or 'Data -
Filter - Autoflilter' to show only the relevant rows.

Another approach would be to put this data in a database and create a
query for this. You may then import this query in Excel. Also consider
using pivot tables for aggregations

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

choice wrote:
column A = date of purchase
column b = name of customer
column c = phone number
column GC = discounts

the range is from A2:GC(count of transactions)

basically now im using =if(a2=today(),b2,"")
same equation for column c,d,e...out to GC

then that equation goes down about 10000 rows to cover all the
possible trasanactions