Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default counting items in a range

This looks like a good place to ask:

I am using a spreadsheet to organize 15 days' worth of stock market price
data.

Each day of data (row: symbol in text, low price, high price),
in column form, is a bit different from every other days' column of
data, because a handful of stocks are added or dropped on an almost
daily basis. Each day has more than 7000 stocks.

Problem: how do I sort out and discard all the stocks in a column that do NOT
appear in each and every of the other 14 days?

Though MS Works Spreadsheet is grossly inadequate for the task, there
is a way to do it (but it's time-consuming, involving a lot of cutting
and pasting and SORT and a choice formula or two).

Some shareware spreadsheets have COUNTIF, but I can't get the COUNTIF
to reference text (symbol) from another cell for its value. (Method:
count each symbol's occurence in the entire 15 days' range of data.
Discard every stock that occurs less than 15 times.)

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
could you post some example data (plain text please - no attachment)
and describe your expected result. I think a SUMPRODUCT formula or a
pivot table is what you're looking for

--
Regards
Frank Kabel