Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Simple HexDecimal to Decimal Converter

Hi there

This is way beyond my maths understanding.

I'm trying to use Excel to convert HexDecimal to Decimal. Ideally, I'd like to be able to key in the HexDecimal value in cell A1 and for A2 to automatically convert it to Decimal. This to then run all the way down 64 rows converting values in the same manner from Column 1 to Column 2

Can you do it with simple function commands?

Anybody any ideas?... all gratefully received

Many thanks

Ed G
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ed,

In B1, enter the formula =HEX2DEC(A1) . Then, select B1 and
downwards as far as you want to go, and press Ctrl+D.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ed G" wrote in message
Hi there!

This is way beyond my maths understanding.

I'm trying to use Excel to convert HexDecimal to Decimal.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to key in the HexDecimal value in
cell A1 and for A2 to automatically convert it to Decimal. This
to then run all the way down 64 rows converting values in the
same manner from Column 1 to Column 2.

Can you do it with simple function commands?

Anybody any ideas?... all gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ed G

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your speedy response.

I've keyed this into the the cell A2, but Excel chucks up a #NAME? error. I'm using Excel 2000, in case that is relevant

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The HEX2DEC and DEC2HEX functions are part of the Analysis Tool
Pack add-in, so you must have this add-in loaeded in order to use
the functions. In Excel, go to the Tools menu, choose Add-Ins,
and put a check next to "Analysis Tool Pak". You can leave
"Analysis Tool Pak - VBA" unchecked.