Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Constant refresh.

I have a worbook with several worksheets in it.
Each worksheet represent a week, and a new worksheet is
added every week.
On the current worksheet named "05-10-04" I have values in
cells that are calculated based on what time it is.
I can get the updated by pressing F9 (recalculate).
My question is:
Can I have the worksheet recalculate the values
constantly ?(basically can I have it press F9 for me as
long as I am viewing the worksheet and not when the
worksheet is minimized ?)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On the main menu go to Tools--Options and go to the Calculation tab o
the Options window that appears. Set Calculation to Automatic. Thi
will not, at least not in my experience, give you something that i
CONSTANTLY updating, but will update any time you edit anything in th
workbook. - Piku

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Don for pointing me to that direction.

Unfortunately I couldn't find "ontime" in my VBA Help so I
did a Google search and I found a lot of example that do
no apply to me. Most examples trigger another macro at a
certain time while I would only want the spreadsheet to
refresh as long as it is active (visible).
Is this at all possible?

Thanks anyway.

have a look in vba help for ontime and use it with

calculate

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Victor H" wrote in message
I have a worbook with several worksheets in it.
Each worksheet represent a week, and a new worksheet is
added every week.
On the current worksheet named "05-10-04" I have values

in
cells that are calculated based on what time it is.
I can get the updated by pressing F9 (recalculate).
My question is:
Can I have the worksheet recalculate the values
constantly ?(basically can I have it press F9 for me as
long as I am viewing the worksheet and not when the
worksheet is minimized ?)
Thanks in advance for any help.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Pikus

I had already set my Calculation to automatic, but as you
point out it only recalculates after an edit or when I
press F9. what I would need is constant recalculation for
as long as I'm viewing the sheet.

Thanks

On the main menu go to Tools--Options and go to the

Calculation tab of
the Options window that appears. Set Calculation to

Automatic. This
will not, at least not in my experience, give you

something that is
CONSTANTLY updating, but will update any time you edit

anything in the
workbook. - Pikus

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I expect the anonymous poster Calculation turned on,
but I could be wrong, in which case that would be a good catch.

You could recalculate when you change the selection
on the page with a worksheet event macro. I expect
you already have a workbook macro that recalculates
when the worksheet is activated. I can't tell one
anonymous poster from another so don't know if that was
you. A workbook is fully recalculated when it opens and
when it is closed.

If you have user defined functions that
are changing values but not for the address used as
a parameter on the function you can use "Volatile" but that
like forcing recalculations to happen often can be very
detrimental to usage.

What looks good in testing and demonstration may take a
lot of noticeable time when you get big files in your
production usage. So you might want to reconsider.

Would suggest when working with filenames or with
sheetnames that include a date that you put them
in year-month-day order as in 2004-05-10
or 2004_0510 or something similar, so that they
appear in order in directories and when you sort worksheets.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#sortallsheets
A page that may be related is
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
---
HTH,

"pikus " wrote in message ...
On the main menu go to Tools--Options and go to the Calculation tab of
the Options window that appears. Set Calculation to Automatic. This
will not, at least not in my experience, give you something that is
CONSTANTLY updating, but will update any time you edit anything in the
workbook. - Pikus

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes I need the cells to be updated based on what time it
is.
I need it so that I can see a chart moving according to
the values in the data source range.

Thanks

"Victor H" wrote in message
My question is:
Can I have the worksheet recalculate the values
constantly ?(basically can I have it press F9 for me as
long as I am viewing the worksheet and not when the
worksheet is minimized ?)...

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Go to VBA editor (Alt+F11) and under SelectionChange event for your
sheet write Calculate.
Should look like this:

Calculate
End Sub

Or, if you want the update to happen only when you change values:

Calculate
End Sub

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could do something like this:
For x = 1 To 60
Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"))
Application.Calculate
Next x

which will work for as many seconds as you set... It's ugly, but i
would be functional... - Piku