Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro assignations follow new documents

I have an Excel spreadsheet with macros in it, and a custom toolbar which
has buttons assigned to the macros. I have also added a couple of items to
the Tools menu and have assigned them to macros as well. The menu options
are assigned to two of the macros on the custom toolbar.

Everything works fine until I do Save As. After saving a copy of the
spreadsheet (it imports data from a text file) and closing Excel, when I
open the original spreadsheet, I find that the custom toolbar buttons and
menu options have become assigned to the macros that are in the new
spreadsheet I created.

This results in the user having to do 'enable macros' a second time when
they click a custom button/menu. If the Saved As spreadhseet has been
deleted, renamed, or moved to a different directory, the user gets an error.
This seems to happen whether I make the originating spreadsheet a normal
..xls or a template - saving the document changes the assignations in the
template.

I'd rather that the macro assignations didn't 'follow' the new spreadsheet,
but stayed with the originating one. How can I make that happen? I tried
making an autorun-on-open macro that would force the assignations, but
didn't have any luck talking to the toolbar buttons (didn't try with the
menus yet, but I don't plan to keep those - they were just for testing).

Is there some setting that needs to be adjusted? Is this an issue and is
there a fix? I'm using Windows 2000 and Office 2000.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com