Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jen jen is offline

Default VBA in Excel

Hi,
Can anyone recommend me a free website that I can learn
VBA in Excel? I know programming in Access, but I know
nothing in Excel, I wanted to learn VBA in Excel by my
own.
Thanks,
jen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, Jen. You're not alone in learning VBA on your own. I have been doing
the same thing for the last year. But - if you *really* want to do it all
by yourself, with *NO* help at all, then you're really going to be in a
mess. Even a book or a free website is someone else's knowledge that is
helping you.

I suspect you mean "without going to a class" or paying for other
instruction. That's do-able - it's the way I've been learning. Here's how
I've done it:
(1) Figure out what you want to do, the open up the VBA editor (ALT + F11)
and try to make it happen.
(2) If you get stuck, press F1 and search the Help files.
(3) If no help there, do a Google search of the *excel* newsgroups. Odds
are good someone has asked the same question or a variation thereof before,
and there will be something to point you in the right direction. Here's an
add-in that I think makes this easier: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm.
(4) Ask here on the Excel.Programming NG. People here are very helpful as
long as you're willing to learn.

HTH
Ed

"jen" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend me a free website that I can learn
VBA in Excel? I know programming in Access, but I know
nothing in Excel, I wanted to learn VBA in Excel by my
own.
Thanks,
jen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jen,

Here are a couple of online resources that might help

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/notes/events.shtml
http://support.microsoft.com/support...01/default.asp

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"jen" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend me a free website that I can learn
VBA in Excel? I know programming in Access, but I know
nothing in Excel, I wanted to learn VBA in Excel by my
own.
Thanks,
jen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jen jen is offline

Hi Ed,
Thank you so much for your help!!!
With my job, I need to learn VBA in Excel urgently.
Thanks,
jen
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jen jen is offline

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your helpful resources!!!
jen
Here are a couple of online resources that might help

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/notes/events.shtml
http://support.microsoft.com/support...content/vba101

/default.asp

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"jen" wrote in

message
Can anyone recommend me a free website that I can

learn
VBA in Excel? I know programming in Access, but I know
nothing in Excel, I wanted to learn VBA in Excel by my
own.
Thanks,
jen

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Since you already know programming in Access, Excel should be fairly easy to
pick up because you are already familiar with VBA convetions and functions,
etc. Learning a new object library is the biggest hurdle you face.
(Remember the Object Browser in the VBE, it is our friend...)

Excel does have one feature not found in Access that may make your learning
curve much shorter: the Macro recorder (ToolsMacro). If you know how to do
something manually, but want to know how to do it in VBA, turn the recorder
on, do it manually, turn the recorder off, and then look at the resulting
code (a new standard module is added in the VBE when you use the recorder
for the 1st time every session. Subsequent recorder uses *during that
session* will append to that module.)

The macro recorder results are *very* literal and therefore very ineffecient
as "finished" code. It is as if you were recording individual keystrokes.
For this reason it will invoke "Select", "Selection" and "Activate" much
more frequently than is ever necessary in your own code (these
methods/properties contain a performance hit and can be avoided 95% of the
time.) Likewise, the recorder results won't use any conditional or loop
constructs as you would expect to see in "real" code. However, the recorder
results can be immensely valuable in *quickly* pointing you in the right
direction when trying to figure out how to do something within Excel's
object library.

HTH,
George Nicholson

"jen" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend me a free website that I can learn
VBA in Excel? I know programming in Access, but I know
nothing in Excel, I wanted to learn VBA in Excel by my
own.
Thanks,
jen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jen jen is offline

Hi George,
Thank you very much for your suggestions! I am trying to
get myself familiar with the Excel Objects, and trying to
read other pepole's sample code.
Thanks,
jen