Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protecting and Locking a Mail Merge List

I am in the process of finishing a list for a mail merge that I have done
in Excel that is saved as a common deliminted file and I need to find a
way to protect the list, so that the user that I sell the list to is only
allowed to use it for a certain amount of times. It is a list of addresses
for mobile home park residents, so it is basically names of the parks
with their addresses and the counties that they reside in. For example:
most people that purchase the list (for mailings etc), will do so for a
'one time use.' But the problem is that once they run that list, it isn't
locked to protect me from having them use it over and over. I need a
way I can trigger an email to myself and the other owner, indicating
that the list has been used on the specific day as well as locking the
list so that it will be useless to that person again if they try to use it.
Keep in mind that I do sometimes sell the list for more than a one time
use, such as 2 or 3 times and in that case, I would need to know how to
adjust the code for sales that are more than a 'one time' use. But, if the
buyer trys to run the list or make a copy of the list in any way, it will
once again trigger an email to us warning us and then we can contact
that person and also have a way to prove that the list was used again
without permission and we can charge them accordingly. Either way, I
want to have an email generated within the list the minute the list is
used so that we know the day it occured and we'll have proof that the
list has been use and we also know when.
So, I am told that you will be able to tell me how to write a few lines of
code in the body of the program that will allow me to do these things.
Please let me know what to do and how that works so I can set my list
up to protect it from multiple use that isn't paid for.

Thank you,
Trish