Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Name not recognised

Hi everybody,
Here is my problem:
I put data (numbers) in book1, sheet1, cells A1:A10.
book1 is closed. I create a name (toto) in book2
referencing cells A1:A10 in book1. In book2, If I write
=Sum(toto) I get the right result. However, if I write
=Sum(indirect(B1)) with cells B1 containing the
string "toto", I get an error.

NB1: If you insert this last expression with the function
wizard you'll see the right result in the wizard, but it
changes to an error when you hit the enter key !

NB2: the indirect.ext function of morefunc.xll is ok for
single cells, not for a range.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, this works for me

=SUM(INDIRECT(B1))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jerome_t" wrote in message
I tried, it doesnt work....

I put data (numbers) in book1, sheet1, cells A1:A10.
book1 is closed. I create a name (toto) in book2
referencing cells A1:A10 in book1. In book2, If I write
=Sum(toto) I get the right result. However, if I write
=Sum(indirect(B1)) with cells B1 containing the
string "toto", I get an error.

NB1: If you insert this last expression with the

function
wizard you'll see the right result in the wizard, but

it
changes to an error when you hit the enter key !

NB2: the indirect.ext function of morefunc.xll is ok

for
single cells, not for a range.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Indirect function was messing up one of my UDF's until
being helped out in this ng, and it was pointed out to me
that Indirect is a volatile fuction. Calculates when you
might not want it to. Can you relate this to anything else
going on in your wb, might not be obvious.

Regards,
sandy