Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Certifying Macros in a Domain

Hello friends. I have an internal Excel spreadsheet that I
designed and that is soon to be used by many company
associates when it is released.

The question I have is this: How do I design the
spreadsheet so that all users that access the .xls file
automatically download the included macro without getting
the security prompt? Touching each machine to lower the
security settings would be too much work. I've heard there
is a way to do this at the original file or domain level,
removing the prompt and installing the macro without
question.

Thanks to all for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
TOM TOM is offline

Would anyone with some actual Excel experience care to
comment? There is a way to CERTIFY a specific macro
INTERNALLY so associates don't have to see the security
prompt, I just don't know how to do it.

Has anyone done this?

That's the whole point of having security - to STOP
people uploading code that could be a virus.

Hello friends. I have an internal Excel spreadsheet that

designed and that is soon to be used by many company
associates when it is released.

The question I have is this: How do I design the
spreadsheet so that all users that access the .xls file
automatically download the included macro without

getting
the security prompt? Touching each machine to lower the
security settings would be too much work. I've heard

there
is a way to do this at the original file or domain

level,
removing the prompt and installing the macro without
question.

Thanks to all for any assistance.
.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom

KB Article on certificates, including SelfCert.

After you get the certificate created you will check its properties. It will
be "untrusted".

To make it into a Trusted Certificate you must open the Microsoft Management
Console(Windows XP) by StartRun "mmc"(no quotes).

FileAdd/Remove Snap-inCertificates.

Your new certificate will be under the Personal category.

Drag and drop it into the Trusted Certificates category.

These selfcerts are machine-specific but can be used for multiple files.

I am not sure what steps to take on a multi-machine domain.

Give it a try. You never know your luck<g

OR.........You could buy one from Verisign or Thawte.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Tom wrote:

[...]

Can this be done with Domain Functions? Johnny Meredith Excel Worksheet Functions 4 February 28th 06 01:02 PM
NT Domain Users Neil Excel Programming 1 November 21st 03 02:14 PM
NT Domain Logon Neil Excel Programming 0 November 4th 03 03:08 PM