Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro to bring up Other Program

Is it possible to write a macro in Excel so that when a user clicks on a command button another program opens? Basically what I would like to do is be able to click on the command button and have MSN messenger pop up. Even better than that would be to have a conversation box with a certain person pop up.

If there is any way to accomplish this, could someone please help me by posting some sample code

Thank you very much
Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To execute a program is relatively easy in VBA

Shell "c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe", vbMaximizedFocu

But to interact with the program can be difficult. I'm not sure if Messenger supports "Automation", but if it does, I don't imagine it'd be too difficult. Read about the CreateObject procedure to learn about launching and interacting with other applications

If you find that Messenger does not support automation, then take a look at http://www.mentalis.org/index2.shtml to learn about the Windows API. Tips on that, however, I believe are beyond the scope of this newsgroup

-Brad
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brad

Thanks for that line of code it is a good first step (and hopefully not last step) for what I want to do. Can you tell me how I would go about checking to see if Messenger supports automation?

Ryan