Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
y y is offline

Default extracting a subset of an array with VBA.

Hi all,

I need to extract an array from another. The dest array will contain,e.g., the even elements of the
first one.

Which code of VBA could help me?
I've thought something this

Function Subset (source As range) As ? (I don't know, I need an array, not a range)
.... my algorithm ...
End Function

This function will be called in a cell as an argument inside several Excel functions.
Could someone tell me how can I return an array? Do I have to take care about some troubles in
particular in building this function?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
y y is offline

chris wrote:

Use a variant to return arrays.

Ok, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Alan Beban" wrote...

y wrote:
I need to extract an array from another. The dest array will
contain,e.g., the even elements of the first one.

There are two ways to read the OP's request: the resulting array contains
the even index entries or the even valued entries of the original
range/array. Having reread the code for SubArray, it's not immediately
obvious to me how it could accomplish either of these tasks. Perhaps you
could respond and enlighten with some actual code showing how SubArray could
be used to do either of these tasks.

To the OP: if you want a VBA function to return an array, the function's
return type must be Variant and you'd assign an array to its result. As a
simplistic example,

Function foo(n As Long) As Variant
Dim i As Long, rv As Variant
ReDim rv(1 To n)