Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Login needed for open workbook and then run some VBA

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that I need input from different gorup of people
but one group shold only modify their own data (cetain cells). And whe
one group is done, he save it and allow next group to update thei
part. Workbook is save in the public folder. So here is what I want t
do:

Group 1 log in, at this time it will unprotect group1's data, bu
protect the rest. Once group1 is done, it save and protect everythin
again.

Next group come and login and then start all these again.

While one group logged in, the other group can not log in.

The reason for login at the begining is that if someone already logge
in, other group can not...

Is all these possible? And help is very appreciated. Any suggestion an
code are also welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Steven,

There are smarter people than I on Excel here, but I think the answer to
your question is a qualified yes.

The protection part is possible within Excel using macros (wouldn't be
highly secure, but if you're just trying to prevent mistakes it should
work).

As to the login question, if one user already has the workbook open and
another tries to open it, Excel will only let you open it "Read Only" and
will not let you save the copy to the same file. It will let you do a "SAVE
AS". Again, not highly secure, but it will let the other users know the
workbook is being used.

TH

On 4/15/04 14:52, in article ,
"dragontale " wrote:

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that I need input from different gorup of people,
but one group shold only modify their own data (cetain cells). And when
one group is done, he save it and allow next group to update their
part. Workbook is save in the public folder. So here is what I want to
do:

Group 1 log in, at this time it will unprotect group1's data, but
protect the rest. Once group1 is done, it save and protect everything
again.

Next group come and login and then start all these again.

While one group logged in, the other group can not log in.

The reason for login at the begining is that if someone already logged
in, other group can not...

Is all these possible? And help is very appreciated. Any suggestion and
code are also welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

-Steven

---
Message posted from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a lot for your reply. Let me try ...

---