Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default add a new line on the same cell using a formula

Hi,

if someone could help me out, that would be great.

here's my prob. I have a database, lets say a list of notes per day fo
5 different people. im using VLOOKUP on a separate sheet so that when
track a specific person's notes and other stuff, the only data ther
would be for that person only.

I have merged cells into one big cell and used CONCATENATE as formul
to collate data. Each note from each day would be collated and this i
the desired result

DAY1: blah blah blah blah blah
DAY 2: the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
DAY 3: the big bad wolf is not so bad after all.

With CONCATENTE, this is the result:

DAY1: blah blah blah blah blah DAY 2: the quick brown fox jumped ove
the lazy dog DAY 3: the big bad wolf is not so bad after all.

Take note that this should be only in one cell. Text wrap wont hel
because this would only adjust the formatting when there are a lot o
notes. I know its workable. Hope someone could help me out. Thanks.

:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this:
=A1&Chr(10)&A2&Chr(10)&A3
Ampersand can safely be used instead of Concatenate
HTH
Paul
Użytkownik "karlo " napisał w
wiadomości ...
Hi,

if someone could help me out, that would be great.

here's my prob. I have a database, lets say a list of notes per day for
5 different people. im using VLOOKUP on a separate sheet so that when i
track a specific person's notes and other stuff, the only data there
would be for that person only.

I have merged cells into one big cell and used CONCATENATE as formula
to collate data. Each note from each day would be collated and this is
the desired result

DAY1: blah blah blah blah blah
DAY 2: the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
DAY 3: the big bad wolf is not so bad after all.

With CONCATENTE, this is the result:

DAY1: blah blah blah blah blah DAY 2: the quick brown fox jumped over
the lazy dog DAY 3: the big bad wolf is not so bad after all.

Take note that this should be only in one cell. Text wrap wont help
because this would only adjust the formatting when there are a lot of
notes. I know its workable. Hope someone could help me out. Thanks.

:)

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

vbNewLine is a VBA constant.

the example is a formula in a cell where vbNewLine would be recognized as an
undefined name and the cell would return #Name

Tom Ogilvy

"count" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hmmm... i already tried Chr(10) even before but it doesnt seem to work
Im using Excel 2000. would that be a problem?

Are there other workarounds

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You use =char(10) in a cell on the worksheet.

chr(10) is for VBA.

=A1&Char(10)&A2&Char(10)&A3

"karlo <" wrote:

hmmm... i already tried Chr(10) even before but it doesnt seem to work.
Im using Excel 2000. would that be a problem?

Are there other workarounds?

---

Dave Peterson