Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Poor Worksheet Performance (for Mike Malachy)

Mike,

(Tried to respond directly to your Yahoo mail address but it kept getting
rejected as invalid. Hope you find this.)

To make a long story short, it was the Excel version. I was told that we
were using Office 2000 on the machines that were performing well, but when I
investigated personally, that just wasn't the case. The speedy machines
were using Office XP.

I was able, using a utility called FastExcel, to determine the exact
location of the bottleneck; it was a cross-worksheet VLOOKUP. So, by
upgrading to Office XP and moving the lookup table data to the same
worksheet as the VLOOKUP call, I'm now executing sub-second Calculate calls.
But about 90% of the performance increase was due to the Office upgrade.

Hopefully you are not already using Office XP, in which case I'm sure you'll
be bummed. But anyway, if you still need help and there's no
confidentiality issue on your end, I'd be glad to take a look at your
spreadsheet and see if I can come up with anything.

Thanks,

Mark

From: mike malachy

Subject: Poor worksheet performance thread -- please help.
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:02:09 -0800 (PST)

mc10-f15.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6824); Wed, 31 Mar 2004
20:02:09 -0800

31 Mar 2004 20:02:09 PST

FILETIME=[1B0301B0:01C4179E]

MD,

I must apologize up front for contacting you directly.

I was wondering if you were able to figure out what
caused the performance differences on your machines.

I too have such a problem and cannot figure it out. A
laptop pentium M at 1.6Ghz is performing much better
than a dual proc 2.6Ghz machine that has twice the
memory.

Please contact me or continue your thread in the
newsgroup if you have made any discoveries.

Regards & Thanks
Mike Malachy.