Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating organizational charts using VBA code?

My problem
Our company has several hundred UPC's numbers in an Excel spreadsheet. Each number (obviously) corresponds to a office device (i.e. monitor, keyboard, etc.). They want to be able to (when an UPC number is entered) have a chart/graph/picture be drawn to include the new device has been added to the inventory

For example... if I have three monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse that are new they want those added to this organizational chart. The UPC numbers have some relivence, but not a lot. (i.e. All monitor UPC numbers begin with "5"). Is there anyway, using VBA, to code a cell, so that when a new UPC number is entered, Excel will draw a box/shape/symbol to represent this addition? Would it be better to use another MS program such as Access?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not understanding why you want the picture. Wouldn't a list suffice?
That would be easy in VBA.

If you want diagrams, Visio is better for that IMO.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"KitKat" wrote in message
My problem:
Our company has several hundred UPC's numbers in an Excel spreadsheet.

Each number (obviously) corresponds to a office device (i.e. monitor,
keyboard, etc.). They want to be able to (when an UPC number is entered)
have a chart/graph/picture be drawn to include the new device has been added
to the inventory.

For example... if I have three monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse that are

new they want those added to this organizational chart. The UPC numbers
have some relivence, but not a lot. (i.e. All monitor UPC numbers begin
with "5"). Is there anyway, using VBA, to code a cell, so that when a new
UPC number is entered, Excel will draw a box/shape/symbol to represent this
addition? Would it be better to use another MS program such as Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
I would do this in MS Visio (though the VBA implementation of Visio is
one of the worst and buggy things I've ever seen)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

KitKat wrote:
My problem:
Our company has several hundred UPC's numbers in an Excel
spreadsheet. Each number (obviously) corresponds to a office device
(i.e. monitor, keyboard, etc.). They want to be able to (when an UPC
number is entered) have a chart/graph/picture be drawn to include the
new device has been added to the inventory.

For example... if I have three monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse that
are new they want those added to this organizational chart. The UPC
numbers have some relivence, but not a lot. (i.e. All monitor UPC
numbers begin with "5"). Is there anyway, using VBA, to code a cell,
so that when a new UPC number is entered, Excel will draw a
box/shape/symbol to represent this addition? Would it be better to
use another MS program such as Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for the tips. I don't have any experience using Visio, but I will give it a try. So, I'm assuming I would be using the data found within the Excel sheet to call up the chart in Visio?