Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trying to save contents of cell as the file name

In the real working file, the value is time in the 24 hour format.
In the cell it appears as: 0945, 1245, 1545, etc.

However, in the new workbook that I tried, I just manually
entered the word "test". Still crashed.

It *appears* as if it starts to save the file, but then it just locks
up for about 10 seconds and finally just crashes entirely.

By the way, if it makes any diffference, I'm using Excel 2002 with
Windows XP Home edition.

Brianne

NickHK wrote:
*Brianne,
What your actual value in the range ?

NickHk

"Brianne " wrote in message
Rob, Just tried with a fresh workbook as you suggested and it
did not crash, but instead I get the following error:

Run-time error 1004:

Method 'save as' of object '_Workbook' failed

Any thoughts?

Brianne

Rob van Gelder wrote:
*There's something very wrong if you can't do:
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=Range("B7").Value & ".xls"

This works fine on my computer.

Does the same crashing happen with a fresh workbook?

"Brianne " wrote i

message
Hope someone can help me with this. My attempts have been
less then perfect to say the very least.

To summarize, I have a worksheet which I would like to save
based on the contents residing in a particular cell.

I have tried every method I could find based on my searches
here and on other sites.

Here are the examples of what I have tried so far:

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=Range("B7").Value & ".xls"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

Sub SaveFileAsCell()
Dim strFileName As String
strFileName = Range("B7").Value & ".xls"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs strFileName
End Sub

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

Sub SaveFileAsCell()
Dim strFileName As String
strFileName = Range("B7").Value & ".xls"
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=strFileName
End Sub

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

ActiveWorkbook.SaveA

Filename:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B7").Value
&
".xls"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= Activesheet.Range("B7")

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Range("B7").Value & ".xls"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

ActiveWorkbook.SaveA

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B7")
&
".xls"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

=
=

None of the the examples I listed above have worked at all.

In
fact, not only do they not work, but all of them have crashed
Excel.

My worksheet works fine up to the point where I try to include
any of the code I just listed. I wouldn't think it's a

question
of
a problem with the file name either. I'm not using an illegal
characters as part of the file name and the name is only 6
characters long.

Anyone have any ideas of something I could try which actually
works?

Thank you,

Brianne

---