Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Counting empty cell

I have a range of cell e.g. (C3:C20). I need to count #
of cells that users have entered any data.

Is the following worksheet function the correct one ?

=@countif(C3:C20),"")

If each cell from C3:C20 is blank, I expect it returns 0.
If I enter data in C5, C7 & C9, I expect it returns 3.

If not, what function should I use, please advise.

Thanks again for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try
=COUNTIF(C3:C20;"0") if entry data is numeric or

another way by chip person www.cpearson.com
array formula (ctl+shift+enter)
=sum(if(C3:C20<"";1;0)) any type of data (String ,Number)

"Wellie" wrote in message
I have a range of cell e.g. (C3:C20). I need to count #
of cells that users have entered any data.

Is the following worksheet function the correct one ?

=@countif(C3:C20),"")

If each cell from C3:C20 is blank, I expect it returns 0.
If I enter data in C5, C7 & C9, I expect it returns 3.

If not, what function should I use, please advise.

Thanks again for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If just numbers in the cells, then perhaps

=COUNT(C3:C20)

Counts the number of cells that contain numbers and also numbers within the list
of arguments. Use COUNT to get the number of entries in a number field that's in
a range or array of numbers.

Syntax
COUNT(value1,value2,...)
Value1, value2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments that can contain or refer to a
variety of different types of data, but only numbers are counted.

If you need to count numbers / text / logicals then

=COUNTA(C3:C20)

Counts the number of cells that are not empty and the values within the list of
arguments. Use COUNTA to count the number of cells that contain data in a range
or array.

Syntax
COUNTA(value1,value2,...)
Value1, value2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments representing the values you want to
count. In this case, a value is any type of information, including empty text
("") but not including empty cells. If an argument is an array or reference,
empty cells within the array or reference are ignored. If you do not need to
count logical values, text, or error values, use the COUNT function.

The @ sign is a holdover from ex Lotus users, and has no real meaning in Excel
formulas.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

"Wellie" wrote in message
I have a range of cell e.g. (C3:C20). I need to count #
of cells that users have entered any data.

Is the following worksheet function the correct one ?

=@countif(C3:C20),"")

If each cell from C3:C20 is blank, I expect it returns 0.
If I enter data in C5, C7 & C9, I expect it returns 3.

If not, what function should I use, please advise.

Thanks again for any help.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wellie,

Try this formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--ROWS((C3:C20)))-SUMPRODUCT((--(ISBLANK((C3:C20)))))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips