Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Pal Pal is offline

Default autocompletion of cell input based on databse list

I have a list of about 25,000 cities in an excel file with other info like
zip codes, etc.

I want to START to type in the name of the city and have the
cell begin to autofill based on matching letters I have typed.
My Intuit QuickBooks works the same way. Or have a dropdown list
of cities with matching characters so I can complete the search.
Then lookup the other data corresponding to that city.

I can also reduce the size of the search by using a state filter
and or the entire list can be sorted alphabetically.

How would I go about setting up this up?
Is there such a autocompletion function as I type in a single cell?
Thanks in advance
Pal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only a combobox/Listbox from the control toolbar toolbox offers this
functionality.

There really isn't any straightforward way to mimic this functionality in a
cell beyond the built in pick from list, but this works with data in the
same column.

Tom Ogilvy