Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Default Removing external links in Excel

In my group at work, we have a lot of problems
with "links" (external

references to other workbooks) showing up in our Excel
workbooks. Part

of this is our analysts propensity to use old workbooks
as "templates"

for new projects.

To remove the links, I wrote a procedure that cycled
through all the

worksheets to show me which worksheets contained cells
with the string

".xls]" in their formulas (one form of external link).
That allowed me

to perform a "find and replace" to remove the offending
string in the

formulas.

Since these external links also appear in Excel Name
objects, I wrote

another procedure that cycles through all Names and
allows the user to

selectively delete any the Name object that refers to
external

workbooks.

This routine worked okay except for two cases: the
intrinsic Names

"Print_Area" and "Print_Title" . I was not able to delete
or change

their "RefersTo" property to remove the external
reference.

Would any one have experience using VBA to remove the
external

references in those two intrinsic Excel Name objects?

Note: I know there are some utilities that do all of the
above via

automation, but I cannot use them in my work environment
due to LAN

restrictions, so just being able to write a VBA procedure
that deals

with these two intrinsic names is all I really need.

Thank you ahead of time for your assistance!

--- Tom