Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default populate a cell with an external workbook referance

Hi Group. I am using the Office 2000 package.

I was unable to do this with a formula so now I'm looking
for help in creating a macro that can referance an
external workbook find a value and push it to a local cell.

The workbook address and cell I want to referance needs to
be a combination of variables found in three cells in the
local work book.

So if A1=VARIABLE1 and B2=VARIABLE2 and B3=VARIABLE3

then I need the macro to access "'C:\Documents and
Settings\VARIABLE1\My Documents\My folder\[VARIABLE2 &
VARIABLE3.xls]Expense Statement'!$F$2"

And then take that value and push it to cell A1 in the
local workbook.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kelly
is you only want to get one cell from a different workbook (probably
closed) you may have a look at the Add-In MOREFUNC.XLL
(http://longre.free.fr/english)
use the function INDIRECT.EXT.e.g.
=INDIRECT.EXT("''C:\Documents and Settings\" & cell_ref1 & "\My
Documents\My folder\[" & cell_ref2 & cell_ref3 & ".xls]Expense
Statement'!$F$2")

you may also have a look at the following thread (describing further
alternatives): http://tinyurl.com/2c62u

Frank

Kelly wrote:
Hi Group. I am using the Office 2000 package.

I was unable to do this with a formula so now I'm looking
for help in creating a macro that can referance an
external workbook find a value and push it to a local cell.

The workbook address and cell I want to referance needs to
be a combination of variables found in three cells in the
local work book.

So if A1=VARIABLE1 and B2=VARIABLE2 and B3=VARIABLE3

then I need the macro to access "'C:\Documents and
Settings\VARIABLE1\My Documents\My folder\[VARIABLE2 &
VARIABLE3.xls]Expense Statement'!$F$2"

And then take that value and push it to cell A1 in the
local workbook.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kelly wrote:
Hi Group. I am using the Office 2000 package.

I was unable to do this with a formula so now I'm

looking
for help in creating a macro that can referance an
external workbook find a value and push it to a local

cell.

The workbook address and cell I want to referance needs

be a combination of variables found in three cells in

the
local work book.

So if A1=VARIABLE1 and B2=VARIABLE2 and B3=VARIABLE3

then I need the macro to access "'C:\Documents and
Settings\VARIABLE1\My Documents\My folder\[VARIABLE2 &
VARIABLE3.xls]Expense Statement'!$F$2"

And then take that value and push it to cell A1 in the
local workbook.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly

.
Thanks Frank. I will have a look at the info you sent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kelly wrote:
Hi Group. I am using the Office 2000 package.

I was unable to do this with a formula so now I'm

looking
for help in creating a macro that can referance an
external workbook find a value and push it to a local

cell.

The workbook address and cell I want to referance needs

be a combination of variables found in three cells in

the
local work book.

So if A1=VARIABLE1 and B2=VARIABLE2 and B3=VARIABLE3

then I need the macro to access "'C:\Documents and
Settings\VARIABLE1\My Documents\My folder\[VARIABLE2 &
VARIABLE3.xls]Expense Statement'!$F$2"

And then take that value and push it to cell A1 in the
local workbook.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly

.
Hi again, Question.. If I use the INDIRECT.EXE function

and create a template. Then I place this template on a
shared drive. And many people access it that do not have
the add-on downloaded. Will it still work for them?

So if they doubleclick on the template and look at the
created xls file will the indirect function exisit on that
file or would they need to have downloaded the add-on as
well so that it can be referenced?

Kelly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kelly wrote:
.
Hi again, Question.. If I use the INDIRECT.EXE function

and create a template. Then I place this template on a
shared drive. And many people access it that do not have
the add-on downloaded. Will it still work for them?

So if they doubleclick on the template and look at the
created xls file will the indirect function exisit on that
file or would they need to have downloaded the add-on as
well so that it can be referenced?

Kelly

They have to install the Add-in on their local machines. Otherwise the
function INDIRECT.EXT won't be recognized

Frank