Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to add line at today's date in chart

I'm looking to add a vertical line at today's date in a chart. The
axis is using monthly data and I would actually settle for today'
month, though it would be nice to have the line move throughout th
month.

Series1 points to 6/1/03, 7/1/03 ... 6/1/04
Series2 points to relevant data

I tried setting series3 to ={$TODAY()} but that did not work.

Did not find anything useful googling. Any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
have a look at
http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...nes/index.html
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...s.html#AddLine
for adding lines to a chart

HTH
Frank

I'm looking to add a vertical line at today's date in a chart. The X
axis is using monthly data and I would actually settle for today's
month, though it would be nice to have the line move throughout the
month.

Series1 points to 6/1/03, 7/1/03 ... 6/1/04
Series2 points to relevant data

I tried setting series3 to ={$TODAY()} but that did not work.

Did not find anything useful googling. Any ideas?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe Jon Peltier covers this topic on his site:

http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/

Tom Ogilvy

"Xelc " wrote in message
I'm looking to add a vertical line at today's date in a chart. The X
axis is using monthly data and I would actually settle for today's
month, though it would be nice to have the line moSve throughout the
month.

Series1 points to 6/1/03, 7/1/03 ... 6/1/04
Series2 points to relevant data

I tried setting series3 to ={$TODAY()} but that did not work.

Did not find anything useful googling. Any ideas?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, thanx for the web sites but none of the tricks mentioned ther
work properly. Some, like creating a combination chart, have truel
disasterous results!

Guess this can't be done

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Xelc,

It is possible to create a moving date line on a chart.
Take a look at this example.
(http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng25.htm)

Xelc < wrote:
Well, thanx for the web sites but none of the tricks mentioned there
work properly. Some, like creating a combination chart, have truely
disasterous results!

Guess this can't be done.

---

Cheers
Andy

------
Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanx for trying Andy, but the same problem persists - you cheated an
added a column of data to the workbook. The goal was to get a datelin
by putting something into a formula (e.g. series3 ={$TODAY()} an
nothing into the spreadsheet itself.

But that's a good reference site, I'll save the link

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, but I hardly think its cheating when you didn't state the rules :)

Anyway, you can not use a formula directly in a data series.
However you can use a reference to a named range and the named range can
contain a formula.

Try the example again, which has be modified to use a dynamic range.

Xelc < wrote:
Thanx for trying Andy, but the same problem persists - you cheated and
added a column of data to the workbook. The goal was to get a dateline
by putting something into a formula (e.g. series3 ={$TODAY()} and
nothing into the spreadsheet itself.

But that's a good reference site, I'll save the link.

---

Cheers
Andy

------
Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Some of the disaster might be due to your monthly data being in months
and today's date being in days. Today's date is 38026, but the month is
only 1248. Completely different scales, if you are trying to put them
together onto a time scale line chart axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services