Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default SMALL(?)

Beto, you can use INDEX (INDICE) after you get the small (K.ESIMO.MENOR) or
large (K.ESIMO.MAYOR) number, something like

=INDEX(A1:A100, MATCH(LARGE(B1:B100,3), B1:B100, 0))

or in spanish:

=INDICE(A1:A100, COINCIDIR(K.ESIMO.MAYOR(B1:B100,3), B1:B100, 0))

where A1:A100 house the names, and B1:B100 the numbers.

Juan Pablo González

"Beto" wrote in message
Hi, I have a question about this function:

Well it's not exactly that function it's the opposite one (BIG?) I don't
know its name, because in my Excel it's called K.ESIMO.MAYOR.

I have a table with numbers and names and I want the name of the biggest
number, the second biggest, etc... How do I get this through formulas?
numbers may be repeated, but just one would be enough. With
K.ESIMO.MAYOR I can get the biggest number, but now how do I use this in
another formula to get the name? I'm not good with references so can you
help me out?

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use the LARGE function in combination with Vlookup

A1:A10 are numbers
B1:B10 are names

=VLOOKUP(LARGE(A1:A10,1),A1:B10,2)

Change the 1 to two if you want the second biggest

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Beto" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have a question about this function:

Well it's not exactly that function it's the opposite one (BIG?) I don't
know its name, because in my Excel it's called K.ESIMO.MAYOR.

I have a table with numbers and names and I want the name of the biggest
number, the second biggest, etc... How do I get this through formulas?
numbers may be repeated, but just one would be enough. With
K.ESIMO.MAYOR I can get the biggest number, but now how do I use this in
another formula to get the name? I'm not good with references so can you
help me out?

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=VLOOKUP(LARGE(A1:A10,1),A1:B10,2,FALSE)

I forgot to add the false

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Beto" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have a question about this function:

Well it's not exactly that function it's the opposite one (BIG?) I don't
know its name, because in my Excel it's called K.ESIMO.MAYOR.

I have a table with numbers and names and I want the name of the biggest
number, the second biggest, etc... How do I get this through formulas?
numbers may be repeated, but just one would be enough. With
K.ESIMO.MAYOR I can get the biggest number, but now how do I use this in
another formula to get the name? I'm not good with references so can you
help me out?

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look here

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm#LeftLookup

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003)

"Beto" wrote in message ...
Ron de Bruin wrote:

You can use the LARGE function in combination with Vlookup

A1:A10 are numbers
B1:B10 are names

=VLOOKUP(LARGE(A1:A10,1),A1:B10,2)

Change the 1 to two if you want the second biggest

Thanks, this answer my question, but my question was badly answered.
What I need isn't fulfilled by this. I get the same "bad names" as I get
with the other response I got. Besides I'd need to reorder the columns,
because I have A:A = Names B:B = Numbers, not as VLOOKUP expects it.

Thanks anyway Ron.
Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Beto, can you see if this approach by Aladin Akyurek works for you ?

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=74990

Juan Pablo González

"Beto" wrote in message
Juan Pablo González wrote:

Beto, you can use INDEX (INDICE) after you get the small (K.ESIMO.MENOR)

or
large (K.ESIMO.MAYOR) number, something like

=INDEX(A1:A100, MATCH(LARGE(B1:B100,3), B1:B100, 0))

or in spanish:

=INDICE(A1:A100, COINCIDIR(K.ESIMO.MAYOR(B1:B100,3), B1:B100, 0))

where A1:A100 house the names, and B1:B100 the numbers.

Hi,

It's working as it is. It's almost what I need... now the problem arises
when there are two equal numbers, because it will display the same name
for "different" numbers. Let's say I want the Top 5 of the list, I get
the top five numbers (one is repeated) but the associated name is wrong
in one of them... any way to correct this?

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Juan Pablo González wrote:

Beto, can you see if this approach by Aladin Akyurek works for you ?

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=74990

Hi,
It might work... but I'll need to give it a more thorough look. Thanks
for the link.

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron de Bruin wrote:

Look here

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm#LeftLookup