Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Determine if Excel is present on the OS using DOS

Hi -
I have an installation program with many Excel templates
that are copied over to various directories throughout the
OS. But - to ensure proper verification I need to check
(in DOS) whether of not Excel is even present on the
machine.
Does anyone know of a DOS command that can check installed
applications?
Thanks - Amanda
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I did not understand, what the OS is, but :

- There's no regular way to read the Windows registry from DOS (a
least I never heard of it), if your OS is Windows
- There's no windows like registry in DOS 4.X or 5.X or 6.X, whic
collects information about installed software.

The only idea may be to search through the possible paths with hand o
a batch file

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Thanks -
I was speaking of the Operating System - and yes, in a
sense I wanted to read the registry using DOS. And, yes,
you are correct there is no way to read the registry using
dos, instead I wrote a batch file that searched for a
directory or file with the name "excel" present - if I
found it - the installation could continue - if I didn't
find it, then the installation program would need to halt
until it was installed. Here is the code that I used:

echo off
if not exist c:\"Program Files"\*excel* GOTO NoExcel
echo Excel is present and this operation will continue...

GOTO Endof

:NOexcel
echo Excel must be installed for this operation to
complete successfully.
GOTO Endof

:Endof
echo Press any button to continue...
pause...

I did not understand, what the OS is, but :

- There's no regular way to read the Windows registry

from DOS (at
least I never heard of it), if your OS is Windows
- There's no windows like registry in DOS 4.X or 5.X or

6.X, which
collects information about installed software.

The only idea may be to search through the possible paths

with hand of
a batch file.

---

.