Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbooks.Open(filename) : Returning err: Object reference not... (in VB.NET)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to open an Excel doc in my program which was
written in VB.NET and it returns the error "Object
reference not set to an instance of an object" when I try
to use the Workbooks.Open function.

This actually works fine when I use my program on a
machine that has Excel XP installed, but when I move to a
machine with Excel 2000, I get this error.

My code looks something like this:

Dim exl as Excel.Application
Dim wrkBKs as Excel.Workbooks
Dim wrkBK as Excel.Workbook

exl = New Excel.Application()
wrkBKs = exl.Workbooks
wrkBK = wrkBKs.Open("somefile.xls")

The error occurs on the last line.

I also have similar code which does pretty much the same
thing with MS Word, and the Open function works fine on a
machine with Word 2000, and Word XP.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Knowing nothing about VB.NET doesn't stop me. Does this works:

exl = New Excel.Application()
wrkBK = exl.Workbooks.Open("somefile.xls")

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tried that! Same problem.

I just did one more test, though...I made all of my
variables objects and just did late binding on everything
and it works. I'd obviously rather use early binding for
everything, but if I can't get that to work then I guess
I'm stuck with that solution.

I appreciate the quick reply!

.