Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default sorting dates by month

I have a sheet with a column of dates in the standard format mm/dd/yy
A simple A to Z sort - sorts on the year. Could anyone tell me how to sort it by the month instead
Thankyou
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Kauflton!

Add a helper column with the following as the basis formula:

=TEXT(A1,"mmddyyyy")

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

I would add a helper column. Insert the following in the first row
=MONTH(A1)
copy this down for all rows and then sort by this helper column

HTH
Frank

kauflton wrote:
I have a sheet with a column of dates in the standard format

mm/dd/yy.
A simple A to Z sort - sorts on the year. Could anyone tell me how to
sort it by the month instead? Thankyou

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need a helper column with a formula, such as

=MONTH(A1)

and sort both columns with the helper column as the key.

If you wish to include year, you could try

=TEXT(A1,"yyyymm")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips