Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Default Zip Files

Is there a way to create zip files using code in excel?
Something that could browse files, select some and zip
them up.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is there a way to create zip files using code in excel?
Something that could browse files, select some and zip
them up.

You need the WINZIP command line utility for that. Search the WINZIP
site www.winzip.com for it and install it. Then you can use SHELL to
start the utility after constructing the proper commandline for it as a
string.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just finished yesterday an Excel-Program to Zip
specified files in specified Zip-files. For this you need
the Command Line AddOn WZCline (WZZip) from WinZip
(Download).
If you would like to test my program please send me your E-
Mail Address and I will sen you the program.

Regards
Klaus

Is there a way to create zip files using code in excel?
Something that could browse files, select some and zip
them up.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Will other users of this spreadsheet require the winzip
commandline program to be installed? If that is the case
this is not an appropriate solution for me. If so, is
there anything else that can be done?

Is there a way to create zip files using code in

excel?
Something that could browse files, select some and zip
them up.

You need the WINZIP command line utility for that.

Search the WINZIP
site www.winzip.com for it and install it. Then you can

use SHELL to
start the utility after constructing the proper

commandline for it as a
string.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Will other users of this spreadsheet require the winzip
commandline program to be installed? If that is the case
this is not an appropriate solution for me.

Yes they do.

Search google for VB compression routines is all you can do then.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Anne Onymous,

No, other users will not require the commandline version of Winzip to be
installed.

If they are using XP or XP Pro, then both these operating systems support
the zip format and can decompress and read them.
For all other operating systems the users will require a copy of the
standard WinZip (or equivalent) utility to decompress and read the file.

As an alternative, if you have purchased the full version of WinZip, this
contains an option to make an .exe self-extracting file. However, although
you can create a zip file from within Excel, you would still have to create
the self-extracting file outside of Excel. This is done in one of two ways:
either from within the Winzip program or, if you are using one of the XP
operating systems from within Explorer. In Explorer, browse to the zip file
you have created and right click on it. Winzip adds its own menu to the
dropdown menu; from within this there is an option to create the .exe.

HTH

--
Regards
Andy Wiggins

wrote in message
Will other users of this spreadsheet require the winzip
commandline program to be installed? If that is the case
this is not an appropriate solution for me. If so, is
there anything else that can be done?

Is there a way to create zip files using code in

excel?
Something that could browse files, select some and zip
them up.

You need the WINZIP command line utility for that.

Search the WINZIP
site www.winzip.com for it and install it. Then you can

use SHELL to
start the utility after constructing the proper

commandline for it as a
string.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a example on my site
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Zip

My Outlook Add-in have a option to do this also
You need Winzip only(registered)
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail-addin.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin