Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CH CH is offline

Default Compile error

I created a master template file that utilizes vlookups to pull in data from
a data file. On the master template, I have some macros, two of which are
used to hide and unhide columns.
After running the data into the master (i.e. with the vlookups), I get 40
'custom' files which I emailed out to my coworkers who are NOT on the same
network. (I mention this because all of the macros work just fine on dozens
of computers within my office).

The error occurs when they open the file and try to click the Unhide Columns
button/macro. The error reads:"Compile error in hidden module: Module 2". I
discovered that this error is due to the fact that I protected the VB
script. So I unprotected the script in the VB editor which leads to the
following error: "Compile error: can't find project of library."
At this point, the debugger highlights the word "Password" in the line with
Password = "bobbob". Here is the entire macro:
Sub UnhideComment()
'
' UnhideComment Macro
' Macro recorded 12/11/2003 by CMH
'

'
Sheets("Office").Select
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="bobbob"
Columns("e:g").Select
Range("f1").Activate
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
Range("c3").Select
Password = "bobbob"
ActiveSheet.Protect Password, DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
Scenarios:=True
End Sub

YOUR HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED ... and badly needed!!
Thanks,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chris,

I suspect that the PC's are running different versions of Excel????
When you get the error, go to the VBA Editor and check
Tools/References
Does one of them come up as "Missing"??

John

"CH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, there are two items that show 'MISSING':
"MICROSOFT ADO Ext. 2.6 for DDL and Security"
"MICROSOFT Active X Data Objects 2.6 Library"

What does this mean?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It means that the workbook was created with one version, and is now run ning
under another version.

First make a note of the library names, then uncheck them.

Run the macros to see if they run. If they do, it means that the libraries
are not necessary, if they don't, they are.

If the macros don't run, go back to ToolsReferences and look up those
libraries in the list (they will have a different version number) and check
them.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"chris huber" wrote in message

Yes, there are two items that show 'MISSING':
"MICROSOFT ADO Ext. 2.6 for DDL and Security"
"MICROSOFT Active X Data Objects 2.6 Library"

What does this mean?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"CH" wrote in
:

At this point, the debugger highlights the word "Password" in the line
with Password = "bobbob".

When you have a missing library, it highlights the wrong thing. Ignore
what it highlights and just look at the references for what's missing.

--
My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid. Please
remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to reply.