Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Program

Hey guys,

I have been making a lot of userforms with VBA in Excel.
But now, I would like to make an actual program because I
think it looks more professional. I would still like to
use Excel as my database. I assume I can use VBA6 or
something(not really sure what is the best programming
software to use). What is the best version to use and how
difficult would it be just to create the actual .exe file?

I am new to programming so please give me any suggestions
to starting out and what to use.

Thank you

Todd Huttenstine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Todd,

Take a look at what Microsoft offers.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/

I also suggest you start learning SQL. Microsoft Access is a good, personal,
beginners database and has VBA.
Excel can do basic database features, but a database it is not.

Rob

"Todd Huttenstine" wrote in message
Hey guys,

I have been making a lot of userforms with VBA in Excel.
But now, I would like to make an actual program because I
think it looks more professional. I would still like to
use Excel as my database. I assume I can use VBA6 or
something(not really sure what is the best programming
software to use). What is the best version to use and how
difficult would it be just to create the actual .exe file?

I am new to programming so please give me any suggestions
to starting out and what to use.

Thank you

Todd Huttenstine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I agree with everything Rob says but disregard the fact MS Access has
VBA. Don't even think about building an application in MS Access
(Access Forms and all that). Hold that first thought of yours and take
a look at look at Visual Studio for application development.

Be aware that Jet (MS Access is essentailly a GUI interface for Jet)
has a non-standard implementation of SQL; you'd want to invest your
time using learning ANSI standard SQL to ensure you aren't limiting
yourself to one product. Therefore, take a look at MSDE as an
alternative to Jet.