Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Lookups..

Hi,

What I'm looking to do is, I have a cell. Call it A.

I have another list, say, B and C, which has values, e.g;

10, 100
15, 200

What I'm trying to do is:

Say, A is 5, this means that 100 should be returned, if its 12, 200, 10,100
etc etc.

My understanding of lookup is that it would search for the exact value, not
the 'band' of it.

Anyone give me any advice as to the best way to go about this please?

Thanks,

Ben

--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

look at the last argument of VLOOKUP.

hopefully my page explains better:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

Poorly designed, because a binary search should be possible
whether an exact match is wanted or not, but it is assumed that
if you want an exact match that the table is not sorted.
---
HTH,

"BWGames" wrote in message ...
Hi,

What I'm looking to do is, I have a cell. Call it A.

I have another list, say, B and C, which has values, e.g;

10, 100
15, 200

What I'm trying to do is:

Say, A is 5, this means that 100 should be returned, if its 12, 200, 10,100
etc etc.

My understanding of lookup is that it would search for the exact value, not
the 'band' of it.

Anyone give me any advice as to the best way to go about this please?

Thanks,

Ben

--
BWGames
to email change de.news to de-news

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:22:07 -0500, in microsoft.public.excel.programming,
David McRitchie wrote:

look at the last argument of VLOOKUP.

hopefully my page explains better:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

Poorly designed, because a binary search should be possible
whether an exact match is wanted or not, but it is assumed that
if you want an exact match that the table is not sorted.

AHhh. This looks brilliant thanks, very useful page.

Thanks muchily, but I'm still a bit confused, I have this table:

Hours Cost:

10 ?200.00
15 ?300.00
20 ?400.00
25 ?500.00
30 ?600.00
35 ?700.00
40 ?800.00
45 ?900.00
50 ?1,000.00

From what I can see on that page, a value of 2, would return N/A, as it
isn't above 10,... oh hang on, I can just do it.. 0 200, 10, 300, 15, 400..
i think..

Thanks, much appreciated...

Ben