Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Annoying prompt: ActiveX and app initialization

Hi everyone,

Last night I installed MS Office Professional Edition 2003. Even though I
already had Office 2002, I did a complete install (as opposed to the Upgrade
option at installation) . My O/S is Windows XP.

Since then, when I close an Excel application (most of mine contain VBA and
controls), an annoying message box appears, with "Microsoft forms" in the
title bar, the vbExclamation icon, and two buttons labeled OK and Cancel.
The text of the message is:
"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be
unsafe.
If you trust the source of this file, select OK and the controls will be
initialized using your current workspace settings."

I have done numerous searches on Google and did everything anyone had been
advised to do that was experiencing this same problem. I also went to this
KB link
and followed the directions by setting the UFI control to 1 for each of the
3 registry keys listed on that page. One of the 3 key paths was incorrect
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Off ice\Common)
in that on my system at least, there was no "Office\Common" path
continuation, so I created one and still set the UFI to 1 there. No luck.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I guess Office 2003 is still too new
whereby there is not abundant information on how to fix this annoying pop-up
at application close (not quitting Excel necessarily, just closing a file
that contains VBA or ActiveX controls).

Has anyone experienced this and successfully fixed it? If so, how did you
fix it?

Thanks for any info or tips.

Tom Urtis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sounds like spyware
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom Urtis" wrote in
:

[...]

We're getting the same behavior where the MS resolutions aren't working.
We're running Office 2003 Professional Enterprise Edition on a brand new
Windows XP Professional box, so I don't think it's a matter of updates.

The original XLS files were developed in Office 2000 with mostly
Microsoft developed controls (MS DataGrid, MSCOMCTL.OCX, etc.).

Funny thing is, we didn't run into this issue when testing our Office
solution on the Office 2003 Beta version...

--
Andrew Mauer

To reply directly, remove .nospam from address.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have the problem where when I add an add-in to Excel, I get the same
message. I know it is this custom activex control that I have created
because if I take it out of the addin, I do not see this message
anymore. I have even digitally signed the ocx file and that does not
seem to fix the problem. I have already looked at the KB article and
none of the changes to the registry seems to fix the problem either.
If anyone can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.