Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Subtotal and Total Columns

I have a spreadsheet that lists expenditures of different departments.
Each department is separated from the next by two blank rows and is of
various lengths from day to day. How can I subtotal the expenditure
column of each dept so that the subtotal appears in the first blank row
below that dept and then totals the whole column ( making sure the
subtotals don't get added again)? Thanks for any help.
Gib

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Data Subtotals function will do this for you
automatically. It wont give you two lines between, but
will give you a department name and total $.

The alternative is to use a sub to go down the $ column,
determine if the current cell is blank, and if so insert a
subtotal formula.

Steve
I have a spreadsheet that lists expenditures of different

departments.
Each department is separated from the next by two blank

rows and is of
various lengths from day to day. How can I subtotal the

expenditure
column of each dept so that the subtotal appears in the

first blank row
below that dept and then totals the whole column ( making

sure the
subtotals don't get added again)? Thanks for any help.
Gib

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Steve,
Thanks for the assistance. Your comments lead me in the right
direction. I didn't know this function was available. I inserted the
code in my macro and know it does what I need.
Thanks again,
Gib

---